Foods rich in color such as butternut squash are good sources of carotenoids—compounds which are cancer and heart disease preventative.
Makes 6 servings
What you need:
1 can evaporated milk
3 lbs. (1.5 kg) butternut
3 garlic cloves
2 medium apples
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicy)
Fresh thyme or savory (optional)
How you prepare:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds.
- Brush the cut side of the squash with olive oil and place cut-side down on baking sheet.
- Without removing skin, cut the hard end of the garlic off and place the exposed end on the baking sheet next to the squash.
- Peel and core the apples and add to the baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Scoop out the squash and squeeze the processor or blender, puree. Transfer puree to medium saucepan.
- Add enough stock to give soup the desired consistency.
- Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
- Heat soup gently over medium heat.
- Serve topped with chopped fresh thyme or savory if desired.