Often corporate wellness strategies focus on initiatives related to fitness such as gym memberships and fitness classes but neglect to focus on nutrition, which is one of, if not the biggest challenges influencing the health and productivity of employees.
Our monthly Nutrition Club is a new and one-of-a-kind successful, ongoing initiative that builds engagement and consistency for “walking the talk” for wellness in your organization.
The monthly Nutrition Club started off as a one-year pilot project at a major Calgary-based oil and gas corporate office and due to popularity and growing membership we are now planning our third year. Feedback from attendees suggests that the facilitation of timely, relevant topics by an expert as well as group sharing was a great combination. Feedback from management suggests the success of this program was because it was ongoing each month and having one facilitator rather than many ensured consistent, non-conflicting information was offered to employees.
Nutrition Club is structured similarly to a book club with set and facilitated topics including collaboration and group sharing. Topics are chosen based on health risk assessment data, biometric screening results and employee interest. Each month club members also receive articles, recipes, podcasts and videos relevant to the topic to further expand learning. Monthly Nutrition Club can be facilitated onsite in a local Calgary, Alberta based office or alternatively by webinars.
- Consistent, credible facilitation that really gets to know the group and dive into challenges and issues in greater depth over time.
- Information that targets the top health concerns influencing employee health, disease management and workplace productivity.
- Relevant topics driven by employee interest, requests and common health issues such as those shown in your company biometric screening and health risk assessments.
- Employees are actively involved in sharing successes, group support and learning from each other, which creates cohesion, health leaders and mentors within your own organization.
- Change is hard and this program focuses on ongoing support that builds over time, which is necessary to truly shift and sustain change.
- Nutrition to lower your blood cholesterol (or a family member’s!)
- Nutrition for reducing your blood pressure (or a family member’s!)
- Anatomy of a food label
- Nutrition for weight management
- Ideas on how to get more fruits and veggies into your diet
- Popular diets and the science of carbs, protein and fat
- Healthy meal planning for busy people
- Eating out the healthy way
- Sports nutrition strategies for fitness enthusiasts
- February is heart month! Heart health nutrition
- March is nutrition month. Ask any nutrition question in this “Ask the Dietitian” session
- What, when and how much to eat
- Kids, tweens and teen nutrition
- Top 10 weight loss tips
- Shift work survival
- Emotional eating and managing cravings
- Super suppers
- Lunch with a punch
- Better breakfasts and healthy snack attacks
- How to have outstanding energy, manage your blood sugars and reduce diabetes
For more information about starting a Monthly Nutrition Club, contact Practice Director Andrea Holwegner: CONTACT US.
Since 2010 we have been working with Registered Dietitian Andrea Holwegner as our lead nutritionist as part of our corporate wellness program at our head office. She has organized and facilitated seminars, onsite nutrition counselling, healthy catering menus and a one-of-a-kind monthly nutrition club. We have consistently found Andrea’s expert advice, approachability and sense of humour are very well received by our employees. She is quick to help develop new creative initiatives and go the extra mile to help create value for our corporate wellness program.
Having the same ongoing person supporting our nutrition initiatives has a clear return on investment and has helped drive home a consistent credible message. I would not hesitate to recommend Andrea as a a speaker for your next event and partner in co-creating nutrition initiatives for your workplace. She can help your employees tackle better productivity, less stress, weight management, heart health and more.
Health & Safety Specialist – Health & Wellness
Chevron Canada Resources