Red and White Canada Day Recipes
Sweet and Savoury Food Ideas for Canada Day
Beyond buying red and white cupcakes or cookies, consider some more tasty food ideas this Canada Day that are delicious and nutritious. There are lots of ripe red fruits around you can take inspiration from – strawberries, raspberries, watermelon & cherries are all ripe to enjoy!
Savoury Watermelon Feta Salad
What you need
- ¼ large watermelon, cubed
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup feta, crumbled
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup shredded or diced fresh basil
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
How to Prepare Savory Watermelon Feta Salad
Toss all ingredients together in a bowl and enjoy!
Strawberry Overnight Oats
Recipe courtesy of Maple & Mango
What You Need
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup or organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (old fashioned)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened oat milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
How You Prepare Strawberry Overnight Oats
- Macerate strawberries: In a small bowl, stir together the chopped strawberries with 1 teaspoon of sweetener (honey, maple syrup or organic cane sugar). Set aside.
- Mix: Add the remaining ingredients to a jar, container or bowl. Stir together until combined. Add the strawberries and stir through.
- Refrigerate Overnight: Cover and place in fridge overnight (or at least 3-4 hours).
- Serve: Add some toppings if you like (see notes for ideas), grab a spoon and dig in!
Cherry Tomato, Basil and Bocconcini cheese skewers
Thread a cherry tomato, a basil leaf and a mini bocconcini cheese ball onto skewers. If desired, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil or leave it plain for a fresh and simple appetizer.
We love this innovative recipe courtesy of ChefSavvy.com
What You Need
- 8 slices of baguette
- 3/4 cup strawberries diced
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon basil chopped
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
How You Prepare Strawberry Bruschetta
Layer the slices of baguette on a baking sheet. Broil on high until toasted and lightly brown. Take out of the oven and set aside.
In a small bowl toss together strawberries, lemon juice and basil. Set aside.
Spread about a tablespoon of mascarpone cheese onto each toasted baguette.
Top with strawberry mixture and serve immediately.
Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Soda
Delicious drink idea!
What you need
2 cups nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt,
slightly softened and divided
1 1/3 cups hulled strawberries
2 cups chilled club soda
How you prepare Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Soda
Blend 1 1/2 cups frozen yogurt and strawberries in a blender. Divide between 2 tall glasses and add 1 cup chilled club soda to each glass. Top each with 1/4 cup nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt.
We hope you and your friends and family enjoy these Canada Day Recipes. Let us know what your favorite red and white foods are in the comments!
Looking for more simple meal planning tips and healthy recipes for a healthier lifestyle? Sign up for our weekly newsletter for a healthy recipe of the week (and nutrition articles and videos with a balanced living philosophy to help encourage healthy habits but still save room for your favorites). Our nutrition newsletter is written by the Online / Calgary Nutritionists on our team who each hold a professional Registered Dietitian license to ensure you are getting credible advice.