Our Favourite Things – My Car Snack Stash Box
I completely appreciate how loud this concept screams ‘Soccer Mom cliché’ however this is actually something that I have done for decades and it is an absolute must for keeping me on track nutritionally.
So what is this ‘car snack stash box’ that I speak of? Well it’s literally a Tupperware bin full of relatively healthy, individually packed snacks that roll along with me wherever I go. The concept is delightfully simple but the benefits are endless.
Ground rules being… the box must ride in the back where my little piggy fingers can’t start grabbing out of traffic boredom. Second rule, individually packed items are a must to avoid snagging a big bulk bag, hitting the road and mindlessly munching while I navigate (and swear at) Calgary traffic. Final ground rule, my kids can’t know it exists otherwise they’ll use it against me and I’ll spend every car ride fiercely negotiating with my little terrorists.
Now onto a few of the endless benefits…
- Saves me dollar bills (Have you ever noticed that buying a bottle of water costs the same as an entire case on sale at the grocery store? I’m not much of a bargain seeker but this I find outrageous).
- My wild cravings or ravenous states of hunger can usually be handled with some form of grace using my stash.
- Saves me sanity points while keeping kids quiet in a pinch.
- Helps me to meet my hydration goals (nutrition nerd)…while I drive!
So what’s currently stocked in my car box?
- Kind bars (“Sea Salt & Dark Chocolate” are my favorite as they quash sweet cravings like nobody’s business)
- Dried fruit
- Individually packed nuts and seeds (“Body Fit” is my current go-to brand. Do they make you fit? Don’t hold your breath, but they are VERY tasty and satisfying)
- Sun Rype fruit bars
- Packs of whole grain crackers
- Bubly sparkling water (As a diet coke lover trying to cut back, the bubbles in ‘Bubly’ make me happy)
- Bottled water
- A couple random juice boxes
And as an added bonus Costco will deliver most of these items to my doorstep. #NOTsponsored…I just really appreciate corners that can easily be cut.
Endless benefits, give it a try!