Simple Dessert Recipe for the Oven, BBQ (or Even on the Fire When Camping)
This is a variation on a simple, French dessert. It is traditionally made with cherries, but you can substitute peaches, raspberries, blueberries, or really any softer fruit you prefer. Similar to an oven-baked pancake, this can be served warm or cool, and can be a dessert or indulgent breakfast option.
For this photo, the clafouti was baked in a cast iron pan, on the BBQ – which also makes this a good hot day or camping choice too! This dish has also been taken to pot luck lunches to great reception.
Makes 6 servings
What you need:
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup of light cream, or mix of milk and heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup of fruit, diced if needed (if using canned fruit, pat dry before adding)
How to prepare:
- Grease a 9 or 10 inch pan – can be round, oval or square
- Preheat oven to 350
- Beat eggs with sugar, preferrably with an electric mixer. Add cream and vanilla.
- Stir in flour and salt
- Distribute fruit over bottom of prepared pan, and pour batter over fruit
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until set.
Per Serving (calculations done with 10% cream, and cherries)
- Calories: 197
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fat: 6 g
- Fibre: 0.79 g
Looking for more simple meal planning tips and healthy recipes for a healthier lifestyle? Sign up for our weekly newsletter for a healthy recipe of the week (and nutrition articles and videos with a balanced living philosophy to help encourage healthy habits but still save room for your favorites). Our nutrition newsletter is written by the Calgary Nutritionists on our team who each hold a professional Registered Dietitian license to ensure you are getting credible advice.