My Favourite thing: “Fun & Frugal Fitness with my Bestie”
I can’t say I’ve ever disliked exercise but I’m having more fun than ever working out with my girlfriend in the past 4 months!
We have known each other since adolescence but since getting married, having children and working on top of it, we just haven’t had much time to hang out. Sound familiar?
Finally this past fall we decided we would book one day every week to work out together (instead of just going for an occasional meal and wine out at a restaurant). What an amazing use of time because now we can socialize and exercise all in the same night!
Neither one of us wanted to spend a ton of money so we started off by taking turns finding unique workouts and different studios that had deals. Sometimes a cheap week or first month or sometimes even the first class free! We mixed this with a few full price drop-in workouts here and there.
It is actually quite amazing how many different and unique workouts are offered nowadays! Some of the ones that we have tried so far are:
- The Sweat Lab: thesweatlab.com (Thanks to Amina & Britney who made Spin class so fun- great beats and heart-pumping sets!)
- Jumping Calgary: jumpingcalgary.com (Michaela is amazing- genuine and caring about each individual in her class- get sweaty by jumping like never before!)
- Surfset YYC: surfsetyyc.com (Balance your way through a cardio and resistance workout on top of a surfboard!)
- Lagree YYC: lagreeyyc.com (Tracie was a great instructor – A low impact workout that made me feel muscles that I didn’t know I had!)
- Row17: row17.com (Unique rowing workouts that distract you from how hard you are working – we really liked “Candlelight Row”!)
- Westside Rec: westsiderec.com (A variety of drop-in classes and instructors to choose from – “Strong” is a favourite!)
- Can’t forget the one week we did a home DVD together – always fun with a friend!
And a few on our future “to try” list: