Glamping Food: Flavour and Fixins’
This month, my favourite thing is not camping, but glamping. The Urban Dictionary defines glamping as “glamour camping or luxury camping”. However, being the food enthusiast that I am, my version of glamping is all about flavour and fixins’, and how to do this with as little work as possible. So I present to you my top tips on glamping!
- Plan to eat two main meals per day…brunch and supper. Early risers can have a quick yogurt and/or muffin or cereal. We never seem to go hungry and cooking twice gives us more time to relax and really enjoy being unplugged. Plus there is always the late night campfire meal!
- Precook your bacon and/or breakfast sausage and freeze to save time. Makes a quick breakfast sandwich with none of the mess! Don’t forget to add a slice of tomato and avocado!
- Season and slow cook back ribs, and pre-freeze them. When its rib night, simply put on the grill for about 6 minutes per side…and they are tender and delicious. We also have taco night or donair night, and again, I precook and season the ground beef, freeze and it is super quick and just as delicious!
- Spice it up! – Pack more than just salt and pepper…flavour things up with fresh garlic, thyme, rosemary and basil. Try a pesto (like this Kale Walnut Pesto) or homemade chimichurri on your steak.
Condiments – more than just ketchup, mustard and relish (which we bring), but also think of things like truffle honey and wine, port or pepper jellies, good quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar. These items can make cheese and crackers divine, and make grilled veggies truly a hit!
- Plan some fun and easy camping appies…we love using our cast iron pan and grilling up Bocconcini cheese and tomato. Sprinkle with fresh basil and drizzle with balsamic…a camping twist on my favourite Caprese salad. You can also try pear and asiago cheese pizza with Greek pitas for the crust, topped with Asiago cheese dip and sliced canned pear. A delicious and fresh appie that pairs well with a chilled white wine!