Kids snack nutrition tips by Calgary Registered Dietitian Lindsay Rieger
Summer is in full swing around our busy, bustling household. For us, summer consists of lots of outdoor socializing with family and friends, plenty of camping, lots of time for creativity (aka- darling children, I’m not entertaining you for two months straight so head outside and figure it out) and of course plenty of day trips to the zoo, Calaway park and our local lake.
Buying snacks and meals at these places- especially when you have a lot of mouths to feed adds up. Not to mention, you’re far less likely to make solid nutritional choices.
When it comes to packed lunches and day trips, experience has taught me that showing up with a run of the mill, bagged lunch generally results in heavy campaigning for ‘zoo dogs’ (hot dogs) as they are commonly referred to among my clan. For this reason I try to up my game a bit.
Here are a couple packable healthy kids snacks or picnic items that curb the request for ‘zoo dogs’ during our days out…
Packable healthy kids snacks:
- peanut butter and banana wraps
- cream cheese pin wheels
- beef jerky – we make our own but there are plenty of healthy varieties out there
- dried fruit
- corn on the cob- my kids never miss a chance to devour this summer staple
- hummus and vegetables
- tzatziki with pita, cucumbers & grape tomatoes
- edamame beans (cooked, cold with a sprinkle of salt)
- air popped popcorn
- watermelon, blueberries, peaches- ’tis the season…. finally!
- frozen yogurt tubes- by the time you get to them they will either still be frozen or nice and cold
- cheese, ham and tomato kabobs
- apple and cheese quesadillas
- AND FINALLY, if it’s a special day out I almost always make room for a treat of some sort. As always, I think the most important lesson we can teach our children is moderation, balance and more important what this looks like on a daily basis… and if that means a ‘zoo dog’ once in a while so be it.
Looking for more healthy meal and snack ideas and healthy living advice by our Registered Dietitian team?
Subscribe to our weekly free nutrition newsletter list loaded with healthy eating tips, recipes, and videos. As a thank you, you will receive an immediate download of our popular 52 Health Snack Attack list: Get the healthy snack list here