Healthy Snacks Your Kids Can Make Themselves
Get your kids involved with these tasty snack ideas
As a parent or caregiver coming up with healthy snack ideas for kids that are not only tasty but also filled with healthy ingredients isn’t always easy.
Here are a few “fruit forward” ideas you can make with kids (or have kids prepare themselves) depending on their age:
Fresh Fruit Cocktail
- Gather fun shaped ice cream sundae dishes or 8oz glass mason jars.
- Place your favorite fresh fruit such as berries, pitted cherries cut in half or diced cantaloupe, pears, melon, mango, pineapple, nectarine or peaches.
- Add unsweetened juice such as tropical blends, mango or cranberry juice.
Fruity Frozen Yogurt Bark
- Mix equal parts of full fat plain Greek yogurt mixed with a drizzle of maple syrup OR full fat vanilla Greek yogurt and fruit. Try fruit such as sliced strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, diced mango and more!
- Other potential add-ons include: mini chocolate chips, finely chopped nuts, chia seeds, hemp hearts, peanut butter, cocoa powder and unsweetened coconut.
- Thinly slice apples, pears, peaches or nectarines in thin slices. If not serving immediately you can toss the fruit in any type of citrus or vitamin C rich juice to prevent browning (while fresh squeezed lemon or lime work note that this may be too sour for some kids so instead consider orange juice).
- Arrange the fruit slices on a plate and drizzle with melted peanut butter or almond butter. Sprinkle with coconut, mini chocolate chips and crushed peanuts or slivered almonds.
Looking for more advice and ideas when it comes to kid’s nutrition and family meal planning?
Let our family nutrition and meal planning dietitian support you with a customized plan that makes sense for your family situation, food preferences, and schedule.
You don’t need to plan complicated meal plans for weeks at a time or spend all day Sunday prepping for the week ahead.
If you need support and a simple system for shopping, cooking, and meal ideas, we’ve got you covered.
Looking for more healthy snack ideas for kids? Check out these posts!
About Andrea Holwegner
CEO, Registered Dietitian, Counseling Practice Director & Professional Speaker
Andrea the «Chocolate Loving Nutritionist» is founder and CEO of Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. since 2000. She is an online nutrition course creator, professional speaker and regular guest in the media. Andrea is the recipient of an award by the Dietitians of Canada: The Speaking of Food & Healthy Living Award for Excellence in Consumer Education....Read more