Sesame Tofu Coins Recipe Print
Enjoy this unique tofu dish as an appetizer or vegetarian main dish
These delicious sesame tofu coins make a great Meatless Monday supper paired with rice and vegetables, or you can enjoy them as an appetizer. Grating the tofu is a unique way of preparing it that someone who is new to tofu may enjoy. If you enjoy cooking Asian food you may have a lot of these ingredients in your pantry already! If you don’t, you can give some delicious new flavors a try.
This recipe is courtesy of Whitewater Cooks with Friends by Shelly Adams.
What You Need
1 carrot, grated
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sambal olek (ground chili paste)
1 tsp salt
1 block extra firm tofu (400g) grated
¾ cup flour
2 tbsp vegetable oil
¼ cup rice vinegar
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
¼ cup sweet chili sauce
½ tsp sesame oil
How You Prepare Sesame Tofu Coins
Makes 16 coins
- Squeeze excess moisture from grated carrots (a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth works great for this) and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add beaten egg, cilantro, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sambal olek and salt, then mix to combine.
- Add grated tofu to the bowl
- Stir in 4 Tbsp flour and mix well
- Form coins by using 2 Tbsp of the mixture patted into 2 inch rounds. If the coins do not stick, add more flour 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Heat vegetable oil in a sauté pan to medium heat
- Dip coins in flour and sauté in oil until golden (about 2 minutes per side)
- Remove and rest coins on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Whisk all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and serve either drizzled over tofu coins or as a dipping sauce.
If you’re serving these sesame tofu coins as an appetizer, you can place them on a bed of greens before serving. For a main course, serve with rice and your favorite vegetable side.
For 2 coins
6.2 g Protein
6.7 g Fat.
1 g Fibre
Let us know how you enjoyed this recipe for Sesame Tofu Coins. Here are some other tofu recipes if you’d like to try this versatile ingredient in other ways:
Looking for more simple meal planning tips and healthy recipes for a healthier lifestyle? Sign up for our weekly newsletter for a healthy recipe of the week (and nutrition articles and videos with a balanced living philosophy to help encourage healthy habits but still save room for your favorites). Our nutrition newsletter is written by the Online / Calgary Nutritionists on our team who each hold a professional Registered Dietitian license to ensure you are getting credible advice.