#ThingsNutritionistsLike – Flavored Club Soda
Our Favourite Things – Flavoured Club Soda and Sparkling Water
One family tradition we have in the summer is our “cocktail hour”, where we try to create some delicious, cold drinks on hot summer days. This is partially to have some connection time in the afternoons, and partially to fight off the nearly inevitable question of “can’t we get a slushy?”. Yeah, no, we don’t need that.
My kids love frosted lemonade or limeade, or a non-alcoholic margarita, but with type 1 diabetes in the family, I’m always monitoring the carb and sugar intake in our drinks. Recently, we have discovered flavoured club soda and sparkling water. So delicious! We keep some of these in the office too, as they are a tasty drink without calories for the afternoon.
A few of the combinations we have had:
- Cranberry lime sparkling water, with fresh mint leaves over ice
- Lemon club soda with fresh squeezed oranges, lemons and limes – we did this one in the office for Cinco de mayo.
- Lime club soda with fresh squeezed lime and coconut rum (ok, that one isn’t for the kids!)
- Mandarin club soda mixed with lemonade – adds bubbles, and cuts the sugar in half
- Lemon club soda with pitted, and lightly mashed cherries (or strawberries)
- Raspberry lime soda with frozen raspberries (used as ice, and added colour and flavour as they thaw!)
- make a slush of pink lemonade concentrate with lots of ice and water, pour club soda over top