Top Health, Fitness, and Nutrition Apps for 2017
Top Health, Fitness and Nutrition Apps for 2017
With so many options to choose from, it can be overwhelming to decide which apps may be most helpful when it comes to helping you to achieve a healthy lifestyle. To help you screen through the clutter, here are my top apps to check out for nutrition, cooking, fitness, meditation, and goal setting to get you started.
(Note that I have not selected apps that only track calories since after all there is more to healthy eating than simply just adding up numbers).
Watch nutrition expert Andrea Holwegner speak on Global TV about great apps for 2017:
Top Nutrition Apps
Strides: Goal & Habit Tracker + Life Organizer www.stridesapp.com
- Free forever iphone, ipad, apple watch & web app
- Paid app if tracking over 10 goals/habits or want more flexibility.
- Track just about any goal or habit all in one place (track a target, habit, average, project).
- Quick set up, beautiful charts and nice rewards.
- Automatic flexible reminders and easy fast tracking by swiping
- Although this isn’t a nutrition app the possibilities for tracking very clear nutrition goals that lead to success is awesome. Eg. Track hydration, eating breakfast daily, eating enough vegetable servings today, deciding what dinner will be for tomorrow etc
- Free iphone and android app created by Dietitians of Canada.
- Plan your meals: Get feedback on a variety of nutrients (not just calories). Search and add favourite foods/recipes to your “pantry.”
- Food search: quickly access a nutrition facts table to find out the nutrients in a food.
- Analyze your food: Compare your intake to national guidelines.
- Track activities: Set exercise goals and track progress.
- Meet your goals: Post your own goals, quotes and photos to keep motivated.
- Recipe analysis: Get a quick nutrient analysis of your own recipes.
Top Cooking Apps
OrganizEat Recipe Organizer http://app.organizeat.com
- $5.49 iphone or ipad app
- Very easy to use
- Organizes all your recipes quickly (no need to type!)
- Snap a photo of your recipe from home or clip a photo from the web
- Sync between your iphone and ipad (recipe backup and sync)
- Can easily share the recipe for a friend or family member by email
Copy Me That Recipe Manager, Grocery List, Meal Planner www.copymethat.com/about/
- Free app iphone or android
- Add any recipe from any website with a click (uses technology to clip the text and extract and format the text from any website) – also can edit/add notes.
- Check a button when you have made this and rank out of 5 stars how much you liked it.
- Organize with tags or simply just use the search button to find your recipes
- Get a shopping list from the recipe and add extra items.
- Can create meal plans for a special meal or weeks at a time.
- Share publicly with the community or keep private.
Any List (Create and share any list; organize recipes) www.anylistapp.com/
- Free for iphone (paid for advanced features)
- Create and share grocery shopping lists and other lists
- Can sync and share with family; changes immediately show up to everyone sharing a list
- Can be seen on multiple devices and securely backed up in the cloud
- Organize personal recipes and recipes from other sources such as emails, websites and blogs
- Tap on recipe ingredients to add them to shopping lists.
- Add items with Siri
- Add photos to list items to keep everyone on the same page and make sure the right item is purchased
- Paid apps by culinary guru Mark Bittman
- How to cook everything kitchen companion app is a must have fundamental resource for every cook to own.
- Search by ingredient or category the 2,000 plus recipes with variations for this award winning no-nonsense cookbook
- Also check out how to cook everything fast, basics, vegetarian as secondary purchase options)
Top Fitness, Meditation and Sleep Apps
- Free and premium paid version app
- Pre-built workouts or design your own
- Strength, stretching, cardio, pilates and yoga
- Set your own time limit from 5 minutes or more
- No equipment required
- Video instruction and audio cues
Insight Meditation https://insighttimer.com
- Free meditation app
- Connect with a worldwide community of millions of meditators
- Choose from a variety of timers for meditation
- Access hundreds of free guided meditations by renowned experts
White Noise Sleep Sounds https://www.tmsoft.com/white-noise/
- Free app with sounds to help you relax the day and sleep at night
- Create your own custom sound mixes by mixing several sounds together
- Change the colour and brightness of your screen
- Gentle alarms and timers that slowly fade in.
What are your favourite fitness, health, cooking and nutrition apps? I would love to hear from you!