Healthy Vegan Orange & Chocolate Chip Cookies
A great balance of flavour and completely plant-based!
In my kitchen, I love experimenting new recipes and adapting what I see on the web, in cookbooks or what I have in mind to make it healthier or remove animal products.
I have created this recipe using vegan ingredients and increasing the nutritional values. This recipe is, for a dessert, relatively low in fat, in sugar and contains omega 3 which is important for a vegan diet.
The orange and chocolate flavours combine perfectly for a heavenly taste! Be careful, it can be quite addictive!
Makes 15 servings
What You Need
Healthy Vegan Orange and Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoon of ground flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- ½ cup of unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- Grated zest of 2 oranges
- ¾ cup milk free chocolate chips
How to Make the Healthy Vegan Orange & Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseed, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix together 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed to 3 tablespoons of water until thick and gelatinous to use as an egg replacer.
- Add canola oil, applesauce, brown sugar and orange zest to the ground flaxseed and water mixture and beat until incorporated. With a wooden spoon, stir in the dry ingredients and and chocolate.
- For each cookie, form a 30 ml (2 tablespoons) ball of dough with floured hands on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes or until they start to brown slightly around the edges.
Is this your first time making something vegan? Let us know on social media and tag us on Facebook and Instagram @healthstandnutrition!
Nutrients per serving
Nutrient analysis with semisweet chocolate chips
27 g Carbohydrates
2.3 g Protein
8.6 g Fat
1.6 g Fibre
Don’t miss out on healthy new recipes or nutrition article and sign up for our newsletter, today!
Sound Bites is a weekly nutrition newsletter that goes out to thousands of subscribers. Written by our team of registered dietitians and nutrition experts, it includes articles, videos, tips and recipes.
As a special BONUS, we’ll email you our popular ’51 Healthy Snack Attacks’ PDF.
Looking to learn more about plant-based eating? Check out these articles!
Olivier Yergeau is a Registered Dietitian in Prince George, British Columbia.