Slow Cooker Comfort Foods – 3 Pepper and Peanut Beef Chili Recipe
Sponsored recipe by the Peanut Bureau
Spice up your dinner with a delicious bowl of chili, packed with beef, chipotle and – the secret ingredient – peanut butter. Add hot peppers as desired to give your chili a kick! More great recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca
Prep time: 10 minutes
Slow cooker time: 4-8 hours
Cooking time: 6 minutes
Makes 4-6 servings
What you need:
- 1 tbsp oil, preferably peanut
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp each dried oregano leaves and ground cumin
- 1/2 tp salt
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz)black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce minced OR 1 tsp chipotle or regular hot pepper sauce
- 8-10 sweet mini colourful peppers
Toppings – optional:
sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, diced avocado
How to make:
- Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add beef, onion, garlic, and 1/2 the jalapeno, stirring to break up meat. Cook through, about 5 minutes. Drain fat if needed, then return to heat.
- Add peanut butter and spices to meat. Stir about 1 minute. Add to slow cooker.
- Stir in tomatoes, black beans and chipotle pepper. Cut stems from mini peppers and use a small spoon to remove seeds. Add to slow cooker and stir. Cover slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Taste, and stir in remaining jalapeno if needed. Serve with toppings if desired.
Tip: For an easy vegetarian chili, swap out meat for an additional can of black beans.
Per serving (1/6 of recipe):
- Calories – 400
- Fat – 18 g (5 g saturaed fat, 0.3 g trans fat)
- Cholesterol – 45 mg
- Protein – 26 g
- Carbohydrate – 36 g
- Fibre – 10 g
- Sugar – 12 g
- Sodium – 1200 mg