7 Ways with Asparagus
Here are a few tasty ways to enjoy the fresh asparagus in the grocery store. Asparagus is a delicious spring vegetable, and is often found at a great price this time of year.
- Grill in the BBQ with olive oil, salt and pepper. Drizzle with a splash of balsamic vinegar before serving. Turn frequently, and season with your favourite spices. Think of new flavour options like seasoning salt, or a steak spice rub.
- Steam asparagus and serve with a wedge of lemon and fresh grated parmesan cheese.
- Toss leftover grilled asparagus on a pizza, pasta, casserole, panini or quesadilla.
- Brush asparagus lightly with olive oil and sprinke with pepper. Roll around a small piece of prosciutto, a thin small piece of Asiago or other strong cheese and bake in the oven until tender.
- In a stir-fry. Cut into bite sized pieces, and add with your favourite vegetables, meat and sauce combination!
- In an omelette. This is a great use for leftover steamed or sautéed asparagus. Or just steam some up, and add to an omelette. Eggs and asparagus are a tasty match.
- In a pasta salad. Boil your favourite noodles, and toss with bite-sized steamed asparagus pieces, cherry tomatoes, and pesto for a quick side dish that tastes like the best of spring.
Brought to you by our friendly Registered Dietitian team at Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. For more balanced living advice check out our RESOURCE MEGA BANK of nutrition articles, videos, healthy recipes, newsletters and meal planning kits here: www.healthstandnutrition.com/personal-nutrition/resource-mega-bank/