Add fibre to your summer
How to sneak extra fibre into your picnic, camping trip, or BBQ
High-fibre foods help regulate your blood sugar and keep you fuller longer. This gives you longer-lasting energy and can help curb the desire to graze on less healthy snack foods all day. Also, fibre helps with digestion and keeps everyone “regular”, which is great on trips for obvious reasons!
- Enjoy a bean salad made with canned beans/lentils/chickpeas, diced peppers, chopped onions, halved cherry tomatoes and your favorite vinaigrette.
- Pack a tray or container of raw veggies and hummus for snacks and appetizers.
- Choose whole wheat or multigrain sandwich breads and hamburger buns.
- Heat baked beans over the fire or BBQ as a side dish or main entrée.
- Throw fibre-rich starchy veggies on the grill or campfire in tin foil. Try corn on the cob, baked potatoes (eat the skin for more fibre) or yams.
- Pack high fibre granola bars, crackers, or trail mix with added high-fibre breakfast cereal as snacks.
- For dessert bring a fruit tray or container showcasing the best seasonal summer fruits such as watermelon, cherries, berries, apricots, plums and more!
Brought to you by our friendly Registered Dietitian team at Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. For more balanced living advice check out our RESOURCE MEGA BANK of nutrition articles, videos, healthy recipes, newsletters and meal planning kits here: www.healthstandnutrition.com/personal-nutrition/resource-mega-bank/