Bean & Cheese Casserole Print
Bean & Cheese Casserole
Hearty vegetarian dinner casserole to serve with a grain for balance and extra fibre. Try a whole grain roll or brown rice.
Makes 6 servings.
1 Cup red kidney beans – rinsed
1 Cup navy or black beans – rinsed
2 Cups chickpeas – rinsed
1 Cup canned corn (rinsed and drained) or frozen
corn, slightly thawed
1 Tbsp vegetable oil (such as canola)
1 Onion – chopped
1 Green or red pepper – chopped
1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes (with liquid)
1 cup shredded cheese – your favourite
How you prepare:
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Combine beans and corn in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add green/red pepper and sauté until tender.
- Add onions and peppers to bean & corn mixture
- Add all other ingredients, except for cheese, and mix well
- Grease a shallow casserole dish and pour bean mixture in and top with cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, and let set for 5-10 minutes before serving
- Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro if desired