Beef Barley Stew
This wholesome stew is great for a cold winter day and loaded with good nutrition.
Makes 6 servings
What you need:
1 tbsp. olive oil
18 oz. lean stewing beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup onions, chopped
2 cups carrots, sliced
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
4 cups low sodium beef broth
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1/4 cup dry pearl barley
2 medium potatoes, sliced
2 tbsp. dried parsley (or fresh if you have it)
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 bay leaf
Fresh ground pepper to taste
How you prepare:
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add beef and cook until browned on all sides.
- Remove beef from pot and set aside.
- Add onions, mushrooms and carrots to the pot and sauté until soft.
- Return beef to pot and add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low and simmer covered, stirring occasionally approximately 1.5 hours.
Carbohydrates 29 g
Protein 26 g
Fat 10 g
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
About Andrea Holwegner
CEO, Registered Dietitian, Counseling Practice Director & Professional Speaker
Andrea the «Chocoholic Nutritionist» is founder and CEO of Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. since 2000. She is an online nutrition course creator, professional speaker and regular guest in the media. Andrea is the recipient of an award by the Dietitians of Canada: The Speaking of Food & Healthy Living Award for Excellence in Consumer Education....Read more