Whole wheat couscous, extra lean ground beef and tons of healthy veggies
Recipe courtesy of Canada Beef
Makes 6 servings
Prep: 15 min. Cook: 1 1/4 hours
What you need:
1/2 cup (125mL) ketchup
2 Tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) smoked paprika
1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
1 small cooking onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 lb (0.68 kg) Extra Lean or Lean Ground Beef
1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat couscous, uncooked
1 cup (250 mL) sweet yellow or red pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup (125 mL) EACH shredded zucchini and diced mushrooms
2 tsp (10 mL) Worcestershire sauce
How you prepare:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make topping, whisk ketchup, apple cider vinegar and smoked paprika together and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in non-stick skillet; pan-fry onion and garlic until golden but not browned. Transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to bowl and combine thoroughly. Spread mixture into a greased 9 x 5-inch (2L) loaf pan; top with reserved sauce.
- Bake uncovered 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until digital instant read thermometer inserted into centre of loaf reads 160°F/71°C.
- Leftover ideas: Meatloaf is great the next day, broken up and added to pasta sauce or used to make meatloaf sandwiches, or topped with mashed potatoes.
Carbohydrates: 20 g
Protein: 27 g
Fat: 6 g