Not Yo’ Momma’s Healthy Beef Meatloaf Recipe
Whole wheat couscous, extra lean ground beef and tons of healthy veggies
Recipe courtesy of Canada Beef
Makes 6 servings
Prep: 15 min. Cook: 1 1/4 hours
What you need:
1/2 cup (125mL) ketchup
2 Tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) smoked paprika
1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
1 small cooking onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 lb (0.68 kg) Extra Lean or Lean Ground Beef
1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat couscous, uncooked
1 cup (250 mL) sweet yellow or red pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup (125 mL) EACH shredded zucchini and diced mushrooms
2 tsp (10 mL) Worcestershire sauce
How you prepare:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make topping, whisk ketchup, apple cider vinegar and smoked paprika together and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in non-stick skillet; pan-fry onion and garlic until golden but not browned. Transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to bowl and combine thoroughly. Spread mixture into a greased 9 x 5-inch (2L) loaf pan; top with reserved sauce.
- Bake uncovered 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until digital instant read thermometer inserted into centre of loaf reads 160°F/71°C.
- Leftover ideas: Meatloaf is great the next day, broken up and added to pasta sauce or used to make meatloaf sandwiches, or topped with mashed potatoes.
Carbohydrates: 20 g
Protein: 27 g
Fat: 6 g
Looking for more healthy eating recipes? Sign up for our weekly newsletter for a healthy recipe of the week (and nutrition articles and videos with a balanced living philosophy to help encourage healthy habits but still save room for your favorites). Our nutrition newsletter is written by the Calgary nutritionists on our team who each hold a professional Registered Dietitian license to ensure you are getting credible advice.
Click here to sign-up for our free weekly nutrition newsletter: Nutrition Newsletter by our Calgary Dietitian team.
Brought to you by our friendly Registered Dietitian team at Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. For more balanced living advice check out our RESOURCE MEGA BANK of nutrition articles, videos, healthy recipes, newsletters and meal planning kits here: www.healthstandnutrition.com/personal-nutrition/resource-mega-bank/