Brown Rice & Black-Eyed Peas Salad
Legumes like Black-eyed peas are a great source of iron and fibre. Enjoy them together in this delicious salad.
What you need:
1 ¼ cup water
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Pinch of pepper
3 cups canned black-eyed peas (dried peas – soaked)
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed & cut into cubes
4 cups cooked, cold, brown rice
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
Hot sauce to taste
How you prepare:
- Cook rice and let cool, or use leftover rice.
- In a large frying pan bring water, onion, celery, garlic and pepper to a boil. Stir frequently.
- Add black-eyed peas and squash. Return to a boil and continue stirring.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the peas and squash are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add rice, bell pepper and hot sauce. Toss together.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes to heat through.
- Transfer to a serving bowl to enjoy!
Dietary Fiber 7.6g