Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Spinach Roti Recipe
Sponsored recipe by: Peanut Bureau of Canada
Quick, healthy and filled with protein, this veggie-packed roti is the perfect combination of flavours with just a hint of spice. This versatile meatless meal can be served wrap-style for lunch, or served atop rice or naan. More great recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 13 minutes
Makes 4-5 roti
What you need:
- 1 tbsp oil, preferably peanut
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 1 tsp seeded and finely diced scotch bonnet pepper, or other hot pepper
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into small bite-sized chunks
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp EACH salt, dried thymes leaves, and ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 can chickpeas (19 oz/540 ml) rinsed and drained
- 4 cups baby spinach, lightly packed
- 4-5 roti wraps, large flour tortilla, or naan bread
- Heat oil in large wide frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and hot pepper to taste. Cook 2 minutes, or until softened. Stir in sweet potato and spices.
- Add 1 cup broth, stir in peanut butter until combined. Stir in chickpeas, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently, 8-10 minutes, until sweet potatoes are just tender.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup broth, and spinach. Simmer and stir just until spinach is wilted and liquid has mostly evaporated about 3 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve in a roti wrap or tortilla.
- Calories – 440
- Carbohydrates – 63g
- Protein – 16g
- Fat – 15g (2.5g saturated fat)
- Fibre – 9g
- Cholesterol – 0g
- Sugar – 6g
- Sodium – 960mg