Ginger Beef Roast with Orange and Cantaloupe Salad
This recipe is perfect for a patio party – it serves many and the beef roast cooks unattended on the barbecue while you enjoy yourself. Recipe courtesy of Canadian Beef – www.makeitbeef.ca
Makes 10-12 servings
What you need:
1/2 Cup (125mL) EACH vegetable oil, teriyaki sauce, and finely chopped gingerroot and onion.
Grated orange zest and juice of 1 large orange (4 tsp/20 mL zest + 3/4 cup/175 mL juice)
2 tsp (10 mL) EACH hot Asian chili sauce, shopped garlic, and sesame oil
4 lb (2 kg) Beef Rotisserie Roast (Sirloin Tip, Inside Round or Cross Rib)
16 cup (4 L) Mixed salad greens
4 cup (1 L) Salad ingredients: chopped cucumber, cantaloupe chunks, sweet pepper chunks Citrus Salad Dressing (recipe follows)
How you prepare:
- Combine vegetable oil, teriyaki sauce, ginger root, onion, orange zest and juice, chili sauce, garlic and sesame oil in large sealable freezer bag. Remove 1 cup (250 mL) of the marinade and set aside to use in Citrus Salad Dressing. Pierce roast all over with fork and add to bag; seal and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours. Discard marinade; pat roast dry with paper towelling.
- Place drip pan under grill; add 1/2 inch (1 cm) water to pan. Preheat barbecue to medium-high (400°F/200°C). Cooking with rotisserie: Insert spit rod lengthwise through centre or roast; secure with holding forks and place over drip pan. Cooking without rotisserie: Place roast on grill over drip pan that is moved to one side; turn off heat under just the roast.
- Insert meat thermometer into middle of roast, avoiding spit rod (if using). Cook at constant heat in closed barbecue until thermometer reads 155°F (68°C) for medium (about 30 minutes per lb/500 g). Remove roast to cutting board; tent with foil for 10 to 15 minutes to allow temperature to rise an additional 5°F (3°C). Toss salad greens and ingredients with Citrus Dressing and spoon onto individual plates. Carve roast thinly across the grain; place on top of salad.
- Citrus Salad Dressing: In small jar with lid, shake together 1/3 cup (75 mL) olive oil, 1/3 cup (75 mL) cider or white wine vinegar and 1 cup (250 mL) of the reserved marinade; season with salt and pepper to taste. Makes 1-1/2 cups (350 mL).
- Tip: If using a Premium Rotisserie Roast, marinate for only 1 to 2 hours, just for flavour. You can substitute orange segments, mango or peaches for the cantaloupe if desired.
About Andrea Holwegner
CEO, Registered Dietitian, Counseling Practice Director & Professional Speaker
Andrea the «Chocoholic Nutritionist» is founder and CEO of Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. since 2000. She is an online nutrition course creator, professional speaker and regular guest in the media. Andrea is the recipient of an award by the Dietitians of Canada: The Speaking of Food & Healthy Living Award for Excellence in Consumer Education....Read more