Grilled Chickpeas With Kale & Red Peppers
Makes 4 meal-sized portions
This is a wonderful vegetarian meal for the BBQ. It is great for a speedy weekday supper meal and also works as a great leftover for lunch, or prepare it at home, and pack it to make while camping! This meal is not only loaded with flavour but also nutrition since it is high in vitamin C, iron, calcium, protein and fibre.
- 2 cans (19 oz or 540ml each can) chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped into long slices
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red peppers, chopped into long slices
- 6 cups kale, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat BBQ and prepare a greased BBQ basket or pan.
2. Meanwhile, mix together chickpeas, garlic, onion, red peppers and olive oil in a bowl and add to BBQ basket and place on the grill. Stir regularly until chickpeas are slightly browned, onions and red peppers are softened and grilled.
- 520 calories
- 17 g fat
- 18 g protein
- 78 g carbohydrate
- 16 g fibre