By Lori-Jane Powell MSc
One of the major challenges for many people is to find time to exercise and to keep fit over the holidays. This season, plan to have it all; by incorporating daily fun activities that you can do with family and friends. Choose activities that can be done by young and old, with different fitness and skill levels.
One Activity a day
- Is fun
- Is a great way to spend quality time with family and friends
- Helps you burn the extra holiday calories
- Is a break from your normal day-to-day routine
- Provides opportunities to learn new and different sports or exercises
- Helps you stay in shape and feel good
Try these outdoor activities for some winter fun and exercise:
- Cross Country Skiing
- Downhill Skiing
- Hiking/Long Walks
Indoor activities that could be considered:
- Weight training / Gym activities
Check the website www.caloriesperhour.com to determine how many calories your favorite activities burn.
Healthy Fitness Gifts to Give at Christmas:
- Personal Training Consultation/Package
- Fitness Equipment eg. Exercise bands, exercise ball, heart rate monitor, hand weights for your house, pedometer etc.
- Downhill ski pass
- Yoga/pilates classes
Setting Realistic Goals for the New Year:
Set SMART Goals for the New Year!
T Time Frame
Follow each of the letters in “SMART” and make sure that all goals you set meet those five criteria. If your fitness and exercise goals follow all of these steps you will have the best chance of success!
Think of your goals like steps in a staircase. Each step needs to have a specific plan to get you to where you want to be. By focusing on the small steps everyday, you will keep momentum and movement towards your goals!