Thai Flank Steak Kebobs Recipe
Nutty Nibbles on a Stick
Post sponsored by the Peanut Bureau
With the traditional Thai flavours of lime, chili and peanuts, this mouth-watering dish will add wow factor to your next barbecue. For tender and tasty bites, slice your meat against the grain and provide ample time for marinating. More great recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca.
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsweetened coconut milk
- ¼ cup (60 mL) peanut butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) hot Chinese chili sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ginger, finely grated
- 1 lime
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) fish sauce
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground turmeric
- 1¼ lbs (625 g) flank steak
- ½ small red onion
- 1 red pepper
- salt, preferably kosher
- Thai basil, coriander leaves or chopped mint for garnish
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) peanuts, coarsely chopped
- In a shallow dish just large enough to hold meat, combine coconut milk, peanut butter, chili sauce and ginger. Finely grate peel of 1 lime and add to dish along with lime juice, sugar, fish sauce and turmeric. Whisk until combined.
- Thinly slice steak against the grain into strips about ¼- to ½-inch thick (1- to 2-cm). Place in marinade and stir to coat. Cover, stirring occasionally, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Oil grill and preheat barbecue to medium-high heat. Slice onion into thin wedges and cut red pepper into bite-sized pieces. Thread kebobs, alternating pieces of meat with onion and red pepper. Sprinkle with salt. Grill for 5 minutes, turning frequently, until meat is just cooked through and vegetables are tender. Serve garnished with herbs and peanuts.
480 calories, 28 g fat (12 g saturated fat, 0.4 g trans fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 46 g protein, 11 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 5 g sugars, 480 mg sodium
About Andrea Holwegner
CEO, Registered Dietitian, Counseling Practice Director & Professional Speaker
Andrea the «Chocoholic Nutritionist» is founder and CEO of Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. since 2000. She is an online nutrition course creator, professional speaker and regular guest in the media. Andrea is the recipient of an award by the Dietitians of Canada: The Speaking of Food & Healthy Living Award for Excellence in Consumer Education....Read more