Thai Street Noodle Chicken Soup Recipe
International Bowls – Thai Street Noodle Chicken Soup
This isn’t the chicken noodle soup of your childhood. We’re kicking things up a notch with Thai spice and peanut butter – a dynamic flavour duo. More great recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca.
This recipe is sponsored by my client The Peanut Bureau of Canada
Makes: 8 cups (2 L) for 4 servings
What you need:
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- ½ lb skinless boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- ½ tsp each turmeric and salt
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 carton chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk, preferably light
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 3 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp each fish sauce and lime juice
- 4 oz rice noodles, preferably about ¼-inch (1-cm) thick
Cilantro, chopped peanuts and lime wedges
How to make:
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger, stirring occasionally until soft, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, very thinly slice chicken into bite-sized strips. Place in a bowl and toss with turmeric and salt. Add to onions and cook until chicken is done, about 2 minutes. Stir in curry paste.
- Add broth, coconut milk, peanut butter and mushrooms. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes to allow flavours to blend, adding tomatoes to soup in the last 2 minutes. Stir in fish sauce, lime juice and salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, break noodles in half and place in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water. Let stand until soft, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Divide noodles between 4 large, deep soup bowls. Ladle soup over noodles. Garnish with cilantro, peanuts and a lime wedge.
Tip: For a vegetarian version, try substituting tofu for chicken and vegetable broth for chicken broth.
Per serving (¼ recipe):
- 430 calories
- 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat)
- 35 mg cholesterol
- 1970 mg sodium
- 41 g carbohydrate
- 2 g fibre
- 6 g sugars
- 22 g protein
About Andrea Holwegner
CEO, Registered Dietitian, Counseling Practice Director & Professional Speaker
Andrea the «Chocoholic Nutritionist» is founder and CEO of Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. since 2000. She is an online nutrition course creator, professional speaker and regular guest in the media. Andrea is the recipient of an award by the Dietitians of Canada: The Speaking of Food & Healthy Living Award for Excellence in Consumer Education....Read more