Here are some quick and easy tips to squeeze into your holiday chaos! Remember, small changes can create super-sized results!
By Andrea Holwegner, Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc.
- Pack a water bottle when you are Christmas shopping/running errands
- Pack a healthy snack when you are Christmas shopping/running errands (e.g. trail mix, piece of fruit)
- Don’t arrive at a party or dinner too hungry to prevent overeating
- For every alcoholic drink you have, drink a glass of water, or soda water with lime in between.
- Dress warm and take a family walk after Christmas dinner watch the beautiful lights!
- Before you go for seconds, wait 15 minutes and decide if you are still hungry.
- Choose ONE dessert you will really enjoy, and savour it! What’s really worth it?
- Stay away from the “food table/area” until it is time to eat.
- Freeze some leftover desserts or meals for later use.
- Include a green vegetable in your Christmas dinner (e.g. spinach, asparagus, brussel sprouts, green beans, etc.)
- Include a short daily activity to help reduce stress and stay active (e.g. 10min stretch or 10min walk)
- Eat Christmas dinner S L O W L Y and truly enjoy every bite!
- Buy a gift for good health (e.g. healthy cookbook, yoga/pilates class pass, pedometer, heart rate monitor)
- Make some healthy food choices when you are on your own, and allow some flexibility during social/special occasions.
- Focus on all the healthy decisions you made, and don’t stress about the unhealthy ones!