Tofu, Vegetable and Peanut Stir-Fried Rice Recipe Print
Meatless Mondays – Tofu, Vegetable and Peanut Stir-Fried Rice Recipe
Sponsored recipe by the Peanut Bureau
Rethink leftovers with this tofu, vegetable and peanut stir-fried rice. Fresh and delicious, this recipe is a far cry from your average takeout dish. More great recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 7 minutes
- makes 3 to 4 servings
- 350 g block extra-firm tofu
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- hot Chinese chili garlic sauce, to taste
- 4 tsp oil, preferably peanut
- 1 cup very small broccoli florets
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced shitake mushrooms, about 6
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 cups cooked and chilled brown or white rice, or leftover rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 green onions, thinkly sliced
- Place tofu on paper towel-lined plate. Place a few more paper towels on top of tofu, followed by another plate. Place something heavy like a large can on top to weigh down tofu and drain the liquid for about 30 minutes.
- Stir soy sauce with sesame oil and hot chili sauce, and set aside.
- Pat tofu dry, then cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tsp peanut oil in large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add tofu and stir fry until golden on all sides, about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining peanut oil to pan. Add broccoli, carrots and mushrooms to pan. Stir fry just until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add peanuts, garlic and ginger. Stir fry for about 30 seconds. If rice is clumped, fluff with a fork. Add rice, peas, green onions and soy sauce mixture. Stir fry until rice is hot, about 2 minutes.
Per serving (1/4 of recipe)
- Calories – 470
- Fat – 23 g
- Protein – 20 g
- Carbohydrate – 49 g
- Fibre – 8 g
- Sugar – 6 g
- Sodium – 650 mg