Terrific Tuna and Tomato Salad Recipe Print
Terrific Tuna and Tomato Salad Recipe
A perfect way to use summer-ripened tomatoes, this refreshing salad is versatile enough to enjoy for lunch, on a picnic, or dinner on the patio with family and friends.
From the Dietitians of Canada Cookspiration App
What you need:
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cans of 120 g light flaked tuna in water, drained
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
Serve it over lettuce leaves for added colour and crunch.
How to prepare:
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, celery, tuna and cucumber.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, garlic and hot pepper flakes.
- Pour over tomato mixture along with basil and oregano and toss to coat well.
- Older kids can help to slice tomatoes and celery, drain tuna and chop cucumber. Little chefs can whisk the dressing together.
- For the best tasting tomatoes, store them at room temperature away from direct sunlight. Putting them in the fridge results in a mealy texture.
- No grape tomatoes on hand? No worries. Dice up 4 tomatoes instead.
- Try this salad using canned salmon instead of tuna, or use leftover cooked fish.
Per serving (1/6 of salad)
- Calories 90
- Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 12 mg
- Sodium 116 mg
- Carbohydrates 6 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 12 g