Zucchini Wrapped Bocconcini Skewers Recipe
Zucchini Wrapped Bocconcini Skewers
This recipe is courtesy of Kristen at My Sweet Mess
Kristen at My Sweet Mess came up with this as a spin on caprese salad skewers, and with zucchini season upon us, this would be a delicious way to use summer squash in a tasty new way!
Makes between 22-26 pieces
What you need:
- 1 average size zucchini, yellow or green work great (does about 22-26 skewers)
- 2, 200g containers of cocktail or mini bocconcini
- 10-12 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- a package of bamboo skewers
- Rinse the zucchini and trim ends, then use a vegetable peeler or a mandolin to create thin zucchini strips.
- Lay strips of zucchini out, and drizzle the olive oil (leave 1 tbsp aside) overtop. Then cut the lemon in half and squeeze both halves onto the zucchini. Sprinkle with mint, salt and pepper. Gently toss strips to fully coat.
- Strain bocconcini to remove liquid. Then put the bocconcini into a small bowl and add the remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and toss until coated.
- One at a time, wrap a zucchini slice around a piece of bocconcini and skewer together just short of the end of the zucchini slice.
- Arrange on a plate and drizzle with a little of the liquid the zucchini were in, sprinkle with the remaining mint and season with more salt and pepper to your taste.
Per skewer (24 skewers)
- Calories – 66
- Protein – 3.4 g
- Fat – 5.5 g
- Carbohydrate – 0.5 g
- Fibre – 0.17 g