Zucchini Wrapped Bocconcini Skewers Recipe
Zucchini Wrapped Bocconcini Skewers
This recipe is courtesy of Kristen at My Sweet Mess
Kristen at My Sweet Mess came up with this as a spin on caprese salad skewers, and with zucchini season upon us, this would be a delicious way to use summer squash in a tasty new way!
Makes between 22-26 pieces
What you need:
- 1 average size zucchini, yellow or green work great (does about 22-26 skewers)
- 2, 200g containers of cocktail or mini bocconcini
- 10-12 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- a package of bamboo skewers
- Rinse the zucchini and trim ends, then use a vegetable peeler or a mandolin to create thin zucchini strips.
- Lay strips of zucchini out, and drizzle the olive oil (leave 1 tbsp aside) overtop. Then cut the lemon in half and squeeze both halves onto the zucchini. Sprinkle with mint, salt and pepper. Gently toss strips to fully coat.
- Strain bocconcini to remove liquid. Then put the bocconcini into a small bowl and add the remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and toss until coated.
- One at a time, wrap a zucchini slice around a piece of bocconcini and skewer together just short of the end of the zucchini slice.
- Arrange on a plate and drizzle with a little of the liquid the zucchini were in, sprinkle with the remaining mint and season with more salt and pepper to your taste.
Per skewer (24 skewers)
- Calories – 66
- Protein – 3.4 g
- Fat – 5.5 g
- Carbohydrate – 0.5 g
- Fibre – 0.17 g
Brought to you by our friendly Registered Dietitian team at Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. For more balanced living advice check out our RESOURCE MEGA BANK of nutrition articles, videos, healthy recipes, newsletters and meal planning kits here: www.healthstandnutrition.com/personal-nutrition/resource-mega-bank/