The 4 Best Fall Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Stay cozy this fall with these soul-warming vegetarian meals
As the days get shorter and the air gets colder, I always feel the need to warm up on the inside. In the fall, I usually spend a ton of time in the kitchen prepping and canning local produce and produce from my garden, so I can use it all year long.
I am the only vegetarian in my household, everyone else loves their meat!
Over the years, I have been able to adjust my cooking so everyone can eat almost the same meal, but in 2 different versions; one vegetarian and one with meat.
Here is a list of my favorite 4 comfort meals I like to enjoy in the fall along with its meat-lover version.
Spaghetti Squash with Filipino Spaghetti Sauce
For a few years now, I have been using the UFC Spaghetti Sauce Sweet Filipino Style on my spaghetti and lasagna. I love this sauce since it’s sweet and can be mixed into many different flavours.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and clean out seeds.
- Bake squash cut-side-down in the oven at 350F with 1/2 inch of water for about 45 minutes.
- Run a fork over inside of squash to get spaghetti-like strands.
- Roast chopped onions, red kidney beans and/or meatless ground beef in a pan. Add the Filipino Sauce.
*Note: A meat version can also be made using ground pork, beef or turkey.
5. Serve spaghetti squash topped with the sauce, fresh parsley and parmesan with toasted ciabatta bread on the side.
This is my favourite food of all time! It uses leftover spaghetti sauce with red kidney beans or meatless grounds.
- In the air fryer, cook frozen French fries.
- In the meantime, reheat the leftover spaghetti sauce.
- Add the spaghetti sauce over the warm fries, and a generous portion of fresh curd cheese.
- Add salt and pepper.
*Notes: Vegan cheese could also be used for a vegan dish. A meat version can be made using ground pork, beef or turkey.
Butternut Squash Soup
When it gets cold outside, I like to enjoy a great butternut squash soup in which I add, of course, a handful of fresh curd cheese. This fall vegetarian recipe is eye-catching and perfect to share with friends or family when it’s cold out.
Marinated Tofu Skewers and Grilled Cheese on the BBQ
In the fall, I typically try to stretch the BBQ season as much as possible! This recipe is by far my favourite vegetarian BBQ meal!
- Cut extra-firm tofu into 2cmx2cm cubes. Marinate overnight in a mix of BBQ sauce and Sesame Oil.
- Build skewers using your favourite vegetables (for example, Mushrooms, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, zucchinis), the marinated tofu and Halloumi grilled cheese.
*Note: A meat version can also be used using sliced pork instead of the tofu*.
- Place on greased grill over medium heat; brush with marinade. Close lid and grill, turning twice, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice or baked potatoes.
There you have it! Four fall vegetarian recipes that you can adapt for meat lovers as well.
It can sometimes be quite simple to eat vegetarian and to manage the meals in a family where not everyone is vegetarian. It is however important to ensure the meals are balanced in order to prevent nutrient deficiencies.
If you are interested in having a meatless diet, reach out to our Specialised Vegetarian Dietitian today.
Looking for more simple meal planning tips and healthy recipes for a healthier lifestyle?
Sign up for our Sound Bites newsletter that goes out to thousands of subscribers weekly.
Olivier Yergeau is a Registered Dietitian in Prince George, British Columbia.