Oatmeal Date Squares
A heart-warming dessert or snack with oatmeal crumble!
Looking for a nutritious sweet treat for dessert or an afternoon snack with a mug of tea? Try this classic recipe for oatmeal date squares that reminds me so much of my grandma as she used to make these when I was little, and they were loved by all.
Makes 32 Squares
What You Need
Oatmeal Date Squares Recipe:
- ½ pound (500g) dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
How to Make the Oatmeal Date Squares Recipe:
- To make the date filling, boil the water and chopped dates and simmer until mushy (if dry add a little bit more water). Set aside and let cool.
- To make the oatmeal crumble, stir together all the ingredients in a bowl and use a fork to cut in the butter.
- Grease a 9 X 13-inch baking sheet (or use parchment paper) and place half of the oatmeal crumble mixture on the bottom and press firmly. Layer the date mixture on top of the oatmeal crumble. Cover the dates with the remaining oatmeal crumble and press lightly (not firmly).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
- This recipe freezes really well!
We hope you enjoyed this delicious oatmeal date squares recipe! If you gave it a try, make sure to post a photo and tag us on Facebook and Instagram @healthstandnutrition!
Nutrients per serving:
70.5 g Carbohydrates
19.3 g Protein
2 g Fat
17.9 g Fibre
Don’t miss out on healthy new recipes or nutrition articles and sign up for our newsletter, today!
Sound Bites is a weekly nutrition newsletter that goes out to thousands of subscribers. Written by our team of registered dietitians and nutrition experts, it includes articles, videos, tips and recipes.
As a special BONUS, we’ll email you our popular ’51 Healthy Snack Attacks’ PDF.
Check out more dessert and snack recipes on the blog here:
About Andrea Holwegner
CEO, Registered Dietitian, Counseling Practice Director & Professional Speaker
Andrea the «Chocolate Loving Nutritionist» is founder and CEO of Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. since 2000. She is an online nutrition course creator, professional speaker and regular guest in the media. Andrea is the recipient of an award by the Dietitians of Canada: The Speaking of Food & Healthy Living Award for Excellence in Consumer Education....Read more