Scrambled Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito Recipe
Try this healthy plant-based vegetarian recipe!
By: Kristen Sunstrum, Dietetics Student at McGill University, Instagram: @sunsandseeds
Did you know you can replace the taste and texture of eggs with tofu? With a bit of spice, and colorful veggies, this tofu-based dish can turn into a healthy & delicious vegan breakfast burrito (or lunch or supper entree)!
Tip: Make sure you use firm or extra firm tofu for the best results.
Tofu is derived from soybeans through a process where the soybeans are pressed, and the liquid is drained, leaving the tofu “curd” that is a versatile, tasty and complete plant-based protein. A complete protein means it contains all 9 essential amino acids necessary for our body’s needs.
The nutritional yeast used in this recipe is a deactivated yeast that is known for its cheesy, nutty taste. When fortified it is an excellent source of vitamin B12 which is often a limiting nutrient in vegan foods.
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 10 mins
- Makes 2-3 servings
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 350 g block extra-firm tofu
- ½ medium red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup white mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup hummus or tahini
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Lime juice, to taste
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2-3 flour tortillas (depending on portion size)
- Salsa and cilantro to serve (optional)
1. To make the tofu scramble, start by sautéing the onion and garlic in a medium frying pan over medium heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms and pepper, let cook for another 2-3 mins.
3. Crumble tofu into small-medium chunks with hands into the pan, mix with veggies and cook on low for 5-6 minutes.
4. While tofu and vegetables are cooking, mix hummus (or tahini), spices, nutritional yeast and lime juice into a small bowl. Add water 1 TBSP at a time until the mixture reaches a thick but pourable consistency. (You may need more or less water depending on how thick your hummus or tahini is).
5. Pour the hummus mixture into the pan with the tofu and vegetables. Cook on low heat and mix until all veggies and tofu are coated with the mixture, about 2-3 minutes. In the last minute of cooking, add spinach and cover until wilted.
6. Warm a flour tortilla by microwaving for 10-15 seconds, or until it is warm and pliable. Scoop about ½ cup of the tofu scramble onto the tortilla. Add avocado and salsa then fold in both ends of tortilla to roll into a breakfast burrito.
Enjoy immediately with extra salsa on the side!
Nutritional Facts (Per 1/3 of recipe)
46 g Carbohydrates
24 g Fat
26 g Protein
Need some personalized help for vegetarian meal planning or how to incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet? Book a free phone call to discuss your needs and which Calgary Dietitian or Online Dietitian in our practice can help.
As Registered Dietitians that specialize in meal planning, weight concerns, emotional eating, eating disorders, digestive health, heart health, diabetes, pediatric nutrition and sports nutrition we can see you in our local Calgary Nutritionist office or as an Online Dietitian by phone or video conferencing for virtual nutrition counseling. Find out more about our Dietitian Nutrition Counseling Programs here.
As university trained top Registered Dietitians, you can count on us for credible advice and practical meal planning so you don’t have to stress about food anymore. You can achieve a healthy and joyous relationship with food and your body. Let’s talk about what this can look like for you. CONTACT US.
Brought to you by our friendly Registered Dietitian team at Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. For more balanced living advice check out our RESOURCE MEGA BANK of nutrition articles, videos, healthy recipes, newsletters and meal planning kits here: www.healthstandnutrition.com/personal-nutrition/resource-mega-bank/