What’s for Lunch? 10 Easy Vegetarian Lunch Ideas
Simple plant-based lunches to get you through the day
It’s twelve o’clock and you can feel your stomach grumbling. Time to eat! Depending on individual preferences, schedule, finances and many other factors, we may pack a lunch or eat at home, go out to eat, or skip it all together. Have you ever noticed a difference in how you feel after eating vs. not eating at all? Or eating certain foods vs. others? You may have noticed differences in your mood, energy levels, digestive wellness and productivity. If you’re curious about what to eat to power you through your afternoons, and interested in trying out some plant-based vegetarian lunches, you’ve come to the right place!
Do I need to eat lunch?
While we are all different in terms of appetite levels and requirement for various nutrients, most of us could benefit from having something to eat midday. Not only does eating often provide us the opportunity to meet our requirements for macronutrients such as carbohydrates, protein and fats, but it can also help us to take in micronutrients including vitamins and minerals.
On top of this, eating lunch can support our blood sugars and energy levels, help us to stay focused and maintain a positive mood.
What to eat to boost energy through the afternoon:
If you’re looking for long lasting energy and fullness, you’ll want to include some protein, carbohydrates for energy, some fibre and don’t forget to ensure your lunch also includes some super satisfying elements- because if it doesn’t taste amazing, you’re going to be left feeling bored and craving other foods!
Benefits of adding vegetarian options into your routine:
Not only can vegetarian lunch options add variety to your meal rotation and flavour profile, they can also help to increase your total fibre intake, provide you with heart protective nutrients, and improve gut health and immunity.
Here are my top 10 easy vegetarian lunch ideas to get your started:
1. Spinach salad with chickpeas, toasted almonds, and cheese with a fresh roll on the side
2. Grilled tofu and bell pepper rice bowl (can also use microwave rice pouch if in a real hurry) with tahini dressing
3. Fast quinoa lentil stir fry with quick cook veggies like mushrooms and zucchini
4.Chickpea salad sandwiches made with Dijon, mayonnaise, and celery
5. Tempeh avocado wrap with spring mix and tomato
6. Microwave baked sweet potato stuffed with black beans, salsa and plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
7. Whole grain, lentil, chickpea or edamame pasta salad with crunchy veggies, cheese and your favourite dressing.
8. Whole grain flatbread or naan rounds with grilled veggies and ricotta
9. Easy quesadilla with refried beans, cheese, salsa and avocado
10. Whole grain peanut butter and banana toast with a twist- top with coconut, granola, hemp hearts and/or pumpkin seeds.
Need assistance with vegetarian meal planning? Wondering if you’re getting enough nutrients? A dietitian on our team can help!
Be sure to contact our Registered Dietitians for personal help with your plant-based nutrition needs. Learn more about seeing a dietitian on our team or contact us directly below. Don’t forget to sign up for our weekly nutrition newsletter and join over 10,000 subscribers! For even more nutrition information and more tips on eating:
- Follow us on Instagram @HealthStandNutrition
- Read past vegetarian blog posts below
- Begin implementing these recipes into your days!
Christine Devaney Towsley B.A.Sc., RD
Registered Dietitian & Online Nutritionist
Specialty: weight concerns, intuitive eating, heart
health, family nutrition, IBS (irritable bowel disease)
A nurturer at heart, Christine will always greet you with a smile and
attentive ear. Kind hearted, empathetic and sensitive to others,
Christine takes the time to connect, build trust and truly understand
each client and tailors her sessions to each person's specific needs.