No Bake Chocolate Almond Butter Date Bars
Simple recipe for homemade energy bars
This whole food recipe from Dietitians of Canada is loaded with good nutrition and are great for active lifestyles on the go for snacks. Use the recipe as a guide below but feel free to try different dried fruit and nuts and/or skip the cocoa to make a range of different flavors.
Makes 12 bars
3/4 cup Large Flake Oats
1/2 cup pumpkin seeks (pepita’s)
1/4 cup Hemp hearts
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 1/2 cups pitted Medjool dates
1/2 cup Almond or other nut butter
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
- In a food processor, pulse together oats, pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts and sunflower seeds until fine and crumbly.
- Add dates, nut butter, cocoa powder and vanilla and process until mixture forms into a ball.
- Press mixture evenly into an 8 inch (1.5 L) baking dish. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting into bars to serve.
- Place in the freezer for about 2 hours for a chewy textured bar.
- You can also make these into bite size balls. Use 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of the mixture to roll into balls, the kids will love helping out with these!
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Calories: 242 kcal
Protein: 6 g
Fat: 13 g
Carbohydrate: 33 g
Fibre: 6 g
Sodium: 3 mg
Looking for more simple meal planning tips and healthy recipes for a healthier lifestyle?
Sign up for our weekly newsletter for a healthy recipe of the week (and nutrition articles and videos with a balanced living philosophy to help encourage healthy habits but still save room for your favorites). Our nutrition newsletter is written by the Calgary Nutritionists on our team who each hold a professional Registered Dietitian license to ensure you are getting credible advice.
Click here to sign-up for our free weekly nutrition newsletter: Nutrition Newsletter by our Calgary Nutritionist / Online Dietitian team.
Brought to you by our friendly Registered Dietitian team at Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. For more balanced living advice check out our RESOURCE MEGA BANK of nutrition articles, videos, healthy recipes, newsletters and meal planning kits here: www.healthstandnutrition.com/personal-nutrition/resource-mega-bank/