Banana Bread Cookies
Fluffy, perfectly sweetened, and makes the perfect handheld treat!
Written by Karlee Davidson, a Student in the Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Food Science program at the University of Alberta, reviewed by our Health Stand Nutrition Dietitian Team.
Who loves banana bread but always wants it pre-sliced before snagging a piece and heading out the door? Voila — these banana bread cookies solve the convenience problem but still deliver the same delicious banana bread flavour and texture while using up those overripe bananas!
These banana bread cookies are perfect for school lunches, warmed with a smear of butter, a cold glass of milk or tea at home. Not to mention the incredible aroma they create throughout your entire kitchen!
What You Need
- 2 cups flour (half white, half whole-wheat flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
How to Make the Banana Bread Cookies Recipe:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside until ready to use. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate medium-size bowl, combine the oil, mashed banana, almond extract, honey, egg yolk, and Greek yogurt. Mix well.
- Transfer the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine well until no more flour is visible, some banana lumps are fine!
- Use an ice cream scoop or large spoon to scoop out the dough, taking about 1/4 cup and plop it on your baking sheet. Leave about 2-3 inches of space in between each cookie.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and a toothpick can easily insert into the center of the cookie and comes out clean. The texture will be just like banana bread but in a cookie form!
- Serve and enjoy!
If you tried this banana bread cookie recipe, or if you created your own variation, make sure to post a photo and tag us on Facebook and Instagram @maderight.nutrition
Nutrients per 1 cookie (using white flour)
30 g Carbohydrate
4 g Protein
10.3 g Fat
0.98 g Fiber
Looking for more simple meal-planning tips and healthy recipes?
Sign up for our weekly newsletter for a healthy recipe of the week and nutrition articles and videos with a balanced living philosophy to help encourage healthy habits but still save room for your favourites. Our nutrition newsletter is written by the Calgary Nutritionists on our team who each hold a professional Registered Dietitian license to ensure you are getting credible advice.
Click here to sign-up for our free weekly nutrition newsletter
Check out more delicious cookie recipes on the blog here:
Brought to you by our friendly Registered Dietitian team at Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. For more balanced living advice check out our RESOURCE MEGA BANK of nutrition articles, videos, healthy recipes, newsletters and meal planning kits here: www.healthstandnutrition.com/personal-nutrition/resource-mega-bank/