Healthy Breakfast Muffin with Blueberries and Oatmeal
These yummy blueberry oat muffins are great to make in the summer during blueberry season or in the winter months using frozen blueberries. Serve for breakfast with fresh fruit and a source of protein such as Greek yogurt, a wedge of cheese, hard cooked egg(s).
Makes 12 servings
What you need:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk (to sour milk add 1 tbsp. vinegar to milk)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
How you prepare:
- Combine oats, and buttermilk/sour milk in a small bowl. Let stand.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and brown sugar.
- Add egg and melted butter.
- Add oat mixture to dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Fill muffin tins ¾ full.
- Bake at 400F for 15-22 minutes.
- Enjoy fresh or store in the freezer to enjoy for snacks and breakfast at a later date.
Carbohydrates: 27.9 g
Protein: 4.8 g
Fat: 5.1 g
Fibre: 2.2 g
Looking for more simple meal planning tips and healthy recipes for a healthier lifestyle? Sign up for our weekly newsletter for a healthy recipe of the week (and nutrition articles and videos with a balanced living philosophy to help encourage healthy habits but still save room for your favorites). Our nutrition newsletter is written by the Calgary Nutritionists on our team who each hold a professional Registered Dietitian license to ensure you are getting credible advice.