Easy Chicken Curry Recipe
Do you like it hot? This is a flavorful curry but is not spicy hot. If you like heat in your curry, add a teaspoon (5 mL) of chili powder or a few dashes of hot sauce.
Makes 6 large, or 9 smaller servings
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- 19 oz (540 ml) can of tomatoes (whole or chopped)
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 cup unflavored low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 18 skinned chicken drumsticks or thighs, skin removed (aproxamately 3 1/2 lbs / 1.7 kg weight with skin and bones or 3 lbs / 1.5 kg weight with skin removed)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, for topping
- To a large heavy pot, heat the oil and water at low to medium. Add the onions and garlic to the pot. Cook until soft. Add the spices, stirring frequently, and cook for one or two minutes until the spices are well blended. Add a bit of water if too dry.
- Add to the pot, the tomatoes, cilantro, yogurt and chicken stock. Blend together, then add the chicken pieces.
- Cover the pot and simmer gently at low-medium heat. Stir periodically. Cook for 1–1 1/2 hour, or until chicken is cooked. If too thick, add extra chicken stock or water if needed. If too thin, cook for the last 15–30 minutes without the lid.
- After cooking, add chopped cilantro.
Per Serving (1/6 of recipe – one large serving)
- Calories – 352
- Fat – 14 g
- Carbohydrates – 14 g
- Fibre – 2 g
- Protein – 42 g