Garlic Tomato Chickpea Stew Recipe Print
Try this warm, spicy and delicious vegetarian main dish
This savory vegetarian chickpea stew was developed by the dietitian team at CanolaEatWell.com. It’s an economical meal containing ingredients you likely have in your pantry right now! Your house will smell incredible as the chickpeas simmer away in the spicy, garlicky tomato sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Unlock Food.
What you Need
6 cloves garlic
1 small onion, halved
1 jalapeno, halved and seeded
½ inch piece ginger, peeled
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp canola oil
1 bottle strained tomatoes (passata)
1 tsp turmeric
2 cans chickpeas (no salt added), rinsed
2 tbsp lemon juice
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
How you make Garlic Tomato Chickpea Stew
- In a small blender or food processor, combine garlic, onion, jalapeno, ginger and 1 tbsp water. Puree until smooth. Add 1 more tbsp of water if needed to smooth it out.
- In a deep nonstick skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add the garlic puree and cook, stirring for about 3 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Pour in tomatoes and tumeric and bring to a simmer.
- Add drained chickpeas, lemon juice and cayenne.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
(per 1/6 of recipe)
11.5 g Protein
4.7 g Fat.
105 g Fibre
Let us know how you enjoy this spicy garlic chickpea stew recipe – will you have it for a Meatless Monday meal, or add extra veggies and eggs to turn it into a shakshuka?
You can also try these other chickpea recipes from the blog:
Looking for more simple meal planning tips and healthy recipes for a healthier lifestyle? Sign up for our weekly newsletter for a healthy recipe of the week (and nutrition articles and videos with a balanced living philosophy to help encourage healthy habits but still save room for your favorites). Our nutrition newsletter is written by the Online / Calgary Nutritionists on our team who each hold a professional Registered Dietitian license to ensure you are getting credible advice.