Make-Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches
Simple, easy, and delicious!
Written by Karlee Davidson, a Student in the Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Food Science program at the University of Alberta, reviewed by our Health Stand Nutrition Dietitian Team.
Are you a busy person looking for an easy and healthy make-ahead breakfast recipe? I got you covered with these delicious make-ahead breakfast sandwiches! This recipe is so simple you can find many of the ingredients in your fridge/pantry and not to mention, healthy.
The whole wheat english muffins add extra fibre here, the egg is packed with protein, and of course we had to add some melty cheese! You would never guess there is spinach in these as well! Spinach is packed with amazing vitamins such as vitamins A, C, and K as well as iron, folate, and potassium.
Assemble them up, wrap them in foil and serve with a bowl of fruit for a balanced meal. All set for those mornings when you’re in a time crunch! Can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen.
Makes 12 sandwiches
As a busy nutrition student, I often find I am grabbing the first thing I see in the fridge when I am hungry. My sister, Alli and I are always dreaming up easy and simple meal ideas that are nutritious but also don’t take a lot of time to prepare. These breakfast sandwiches are the answer. They take minutes to prepare, are fun to make, and you will have them ready on hand for a few days! If you have children, they would love to help prepare these as well.
I’ll walk you through how to make these simple and delicious make-ahead breakfast sandwiches below, so you can enjoy them for yourself or your family!
Let’s Talk Eggs!
Eggs are an excellent source of complete protein. This means that eggs contain all the essential amino acids your body needs to thrive. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins and help to repair cells in order to create new ones! Incorporating eggs into your diet is a great and effective way to boost your protein intake.
What You Need
Make-Ahead Breakfast Sandwich Ingredients:
- 12 whole wheat or sourdough english muffins
- 12 slices white cheddar or swiss cheese
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 5 slices turkey bacon, diced into 1/2-inch squares
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Mrs.Dash table spice blend
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Create the Make-Ahead Breakfast Sandwich Recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF and lightly oil a 10″ x 15″ sheet pan.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, milk, dill, and spices. Whisk to combine.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, once heated add the diced turkey bacon. Saute until crispy. Add the spinach until wilted. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes before adding to the egg mixture.
- Pour the egg/spinach and turkey bacon mixture onto your prepared sheet pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the egg is set.
- Halve your english muffins and place a slice of cheese over each half. Remove the egg from the oven, let it cool for 5 minutes before cutting it into 12 even squares. Add a square to each english muffin.
- Wrap in foil for meal prep or enjoy immediately!
Tip: Pre-prep some fruit in a container the night before for added nutrients, such as blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries.
Note: To reheat, preheat the oven to 350ºF and heat the breakfast sandwich for 5-10 minutes. Alternatively, a toaster oven works great as well or the microwave.
I hope you all try this Make-Ahead Breakfast Sandwich recipe! If you gave it a try, make sure to post a photo of your meal and tag us on Instagram @maderight.nutrition.
Nutrients per serving (one sandwich):
Nutrition analysis done with whole-wheat english muffins.
25 g Carbohydrate
20 g Protein
10.0 g Fat
4.5 g Fiber
Looking for more simple meal planning tips and healthy recipes for a healthier lifestyle?
Sign up for our weekly newsletter for a healthy recipe of the week and nutrition articles and videos with a balanced living philosophy to help encourage healthy habits but still save room for your favourites. Our nutrition newsletter is written by the Calgary Nutritionists on our team who each hold a professional Registered Dietitian license to ensure you are getting credible advice.
Click here to sign-up for our free weekly nutrition newsletter
Check out more breakfast recipes on the blog here:
Brought to you by our friendly Registered Dietitian team at Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. For more balanced living advice check out our RESOURCE MEGA BANK of nutrition articles, videos, healthy recipes, newsletters and meal planning kits here: www.healthstandnutrition.com/personal-nutrition/resource-mega-bank/