Mexican Rice Salad Recipe
This healthy and delicious salad will be your go-to barbecue side dish this summer
Cool, crunchy, spice and zesty – this Mexican rice salad has flavors and textures everyone enjoys. It will become your new favorite side dish to have on hand in the fridge for a quick lunch or to serve along with grilled meat or fish during the summer. It tastes so good you’ll forget that it’s also a grest source of protein and fiber from beans and black rice.
Makes 12 servings (serving size ¾ cup)
What you Need
1 1/3 cup water
2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
¾ cup chopped green pepper
½ cup chopped red onion
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 Tbsp canola oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can corn, drained
1 can (15 oz) black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium plum tomatoes, diced
1 cup unsalted peanuts
1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
2/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup lime juice
½ to 1 ½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp ground cumin
How To Prepare Mexican Rice Salad
- In a large saucepan bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Rinse cooked rice under cold water and drain. Place in large bowl.
- In a small skillet, sauté green pepper, onion, and carrot in canola oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Comgine cooked vegetables with rice.
- Add corn, beans, tomatoes, peanuts and cilantro to rice and stir well.
- To make dressing, in a separate bowl, combine olive oil, lime juice, cayenne and cumin and mix well.
- Pour dressing over rice and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
22 g Carbohydrates
6 g Protein
20 g Fat.
4 g Fibre
Add a sweet twist to your salad by adding some chopped mango, pineapple or avocado to your Mexican rice salad! Use the leftovers in a burrito, or try serving it with one of these other tasty recipes:
- Grilled Cilantro-Lime Fish with Mango
- Slow Cooker Southwest Pulled Chicken
- Spectacular Speedy Shrimp
Looking for more simple meal planning tips and healthy recipes for a healthier lifestyle? Sign up for our weekly newsletter for a healthy recipe of the week (and nutrition articles and videos with a balanced living philosophy to help encourage healthy habits but still save room for your favorites). Our nutrition newsletter is written by the Online / Calgary Nutritionists on our team who each hold a professional Registered Dietitian license to ensure you are getting credible advice.
About Andrea Holwegner
CEO, Registered Dietitian, Counseling Practice Director & Professional Speaker
Andrea the «Chocoholic Nutritionist» is founder and CEO of Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. since 2000. She is an online nutrition course creator, professional speaker and regular guest in the media. Andrea is the recipient of an award by the Dietitians of Canada: The Speaking of Food & Healthy Living Award for Excellence in Consumer Education....Read more