What you need:
- 2 1/4 pounds mixed ripe tomatoes, different shapes and colors
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A good pinch dried oregano
- Red wine or balsamic vinegar
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
- 1 fresh red chile, seeded and chopped
How to make:
- Use a variety of tomatoes, and do not panic at the amount of salt – it’s worth it for the flavour.
- Fresh oregano is your best option, but dried is fine in this recipe as well
- Chop your tomatoes in half, or quarters, depending on size.
- Put the tomatoes into a strainer and season with a good pinch of sea salt. Toss them and season again. This will draw out some moisture, and compound the flavours. Leave in strainger about 15 minutes, then discard extra juice.
- Transfer the tomatoes to a large bowl and sprinkle with oregano.
- Make a dressing using 1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil, the garlic and the chile. Drizzle over the tomatoes.
Per serving (1/6 of recipe):
- Calories – 160
- Protein – 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates – 8 g
- Fat – 13. 9 g
- Fibre – 2.3 g