Quinoa Breakfast Parfait
This high protein, satisfying breakfast packs a nutritional punch! Start your day off right with this complete meal or enjoy as a post workout recovery option.
Recipe adapted from a recipe by Shelley Adams in the cookbook White Water Cooks.
Makes 4 servings
What you need:
- 1/2 cup black quinoa (or red/white quinoa)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup 1% milk (or soy milk/almond milk)
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. natural peanut butter (or almond/nut butter)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen thawed fruit (such as berries, sliced pineapple/mango)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, pecans or other nuts
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
How you prepare:
- Stir quinoa, water and milk together in a pot and bring to a boil then reduce to medium low heat and cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir the cinnamon and nut butter into the quinoa.
- Divide among four bowls and top with yogurt, then fruit, then nuts and drizzle with maple syrup.
Option: You can also add chia seeds, hemp hearts, ground flax, dried fruit, coconut and more for variation.
Tip: Quinoa freezes well so prepare steps 1 and 2 above ahead and freeze quinoa mixture in single servings in Ziplock snack bags or small containers. Simply thaw and assemble parfaits quickly for busy mornings.
Calories: 361, Carbohydrates: 38 g, Protein: 20 g, Fat: 14.7 g, Fibre: 5.1 g