Quinoa Breakfast Parfait Recipe
Quinoa Breakfast Parfait
This high protein, satisfying breakfast packs a nutritional punch! Start your day off right with this complete meal or enjoy as a post workout recovery option.
Recipe adapted from a recipe by Shelley Adams in the cookbook White Water Cooks.
Makes 4 servings
What you need:
- 1/2 cup black quinoa (or red/white quinoa)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup 1% milk (or soy milk/almond milk)
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. natural peanut butter (or almond/nut butter)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen thawed fruit (such as berries, sliced pineapple/mango)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, pecans or other nuts
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
How you prepare:
- Stir quinoa, water and milk together in a pot and bring to a boil then reduce to medium low heat and cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir the cinnamon and nut butter into the quinoa.
- Divide among four bowls and top with yogurt, then fruit, then nuts and drizzle with maple syrup.
Option: You can also add chia seeds, hemp hearts, ground flax, dried fruit, coconut and more for variation.
Tip: Quinoa freezes well so prepare steps 1 and 2 above ahead and freeze quinoa mixture in single servings in Ziplock snack bags or small containers. Simply thaw and assemble parfaits quickly for busy mornings.
Calories: 361, Carbohydrates: 38 g, Protein: 20 g, Fat: 14.7 g, Fibre: 5.1 g
About Andrea Holwegner
CEO, Registered Dietitian, Counseling Practice Director & Professional Speaker
Andrea the «Chocolate Loving Nutritionist» is founder and CEO of Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. since 2000. She is an online nutrition course creator, professional speaker and regular guest in the media. Andrea is the recipient of an award by the Dietitians of Canada: The Speaking of Food & Healthy Living Award for Excellence in Consumer Education....Read more