Healthy Recipe by Calgary Nutritionist / Online Dietitian Andrea Holwegner
Adults and kids will love this mild crunchy fish recipe. Serve with a salad, steamed green beans or asparagus for a balanced meal.
Makes 4 servings
What you need:
400 g fresh or frozen light white fish (such as sole, basa, tilapia, Icelandic cod fillets)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
Cayenne pepper to taste (optional if you like it hot!)
1 tbsp. fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried parsley)
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1-4 tbsp. vegetable oil
Fresh Lemon wedges (optional)
How you prepare:
- Pour milk into a shallow dish.
- Pour bread crumbs into a separate second shallow dish and add Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper (optional), parsley and fresh ground pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat in a non-stick, cast iron or stainless steel saucepan.
- Dip both sides of the fish fillet into milk mixture and then into breadcrumb mixture.
- Pan-fry fish 3-5 minutes on each side until the bread crumb coating becomes slightly golden coloured and fish flakes easily when cut.
- Serve with optional lemon quarters on the side.
- If your kids like fish fingers prepare this recipe but cut the fish into fingers instead. You can pan fry or alternatively bake on a greased rimmed baking sheet, turning once, for about 15 minutes or until golden color and fish flakes easily when cut.
- If you like breaded fish and want some variation, try replacing the Cajun seasoning with dried oregano, basil, garlic powder or your other favourite herbs and spices.
30 g Protein
21 g Carbohydrates
7.6 g Fat
1.2 g Fibre
Looking for more healthy eating recipes? Sign up for our weekly newsletter for a healthy recipe of the week (and nutrition articles and videos with a balanced living philosophy to help encourage healthy habits but still save room for your favorites). Our nutrition newsletter is written by the Calgary Nutritionists on our team who each hold a professional Registered Dietitian license to ensure you are getting credible advice.