Classic Basil Pesto Recipe
Fresh and delicious! Use this classic basil pesto in a summer pasta salad or to top crostini
If, like me, your garden is overflowing with basil this summer take the opportunity to make some classic basil pesto! It’s delicious, keeps well and can be used to make many quick lunch or dinner recipes. If you have extra and decide to freeze it, drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top of the container to keep its bright green color, and don’t add the parmesan cheese until you’re ready to use it.
Recipe from Mark Bittman’s How To Cook Everything.
Makes 1 cup
What You Need
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves, rinsed and dried
- ½ clove garlic, peeled (or more, to taste)
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, walnuts or cashews
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan, Pecorino Romano or other hard cheese
How to Make Classic Basil Pesto
- Combine the basil with a pinch of salt, garlic, nuts and about half the olive oil in a food processor or blender
- Process, scraping down the sides
- Gradually add the rest of the olive oil until you have the desired sauce texture
- Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, or in the freezer for several months
- Stir in the grated cheese by hand just before using
You can modify this classic basil pesto by using parsley or different nuts. Make a great sauce for fish by using dill and a neutral oil like grapeseed or corn and a bit of lemon zest.
(for entire recipe)
34.5 g Protein
158.4 g Fat.
10 g Fibre
What is your favourite way to serve pesto? I like it on a cold pasta salad with cherry tomatoes and mozzarella.
Looking for more Italian recipes? Try these:
- Rustic Italian Beef and Tomato Soup Recipe
- Speedy Italian Caprese Salad
- Grilled Italian Sausage and Red Peppers
Looking for more simple meal planning tips and healthy recipes for a healthier lifestyle? Sign up for our weekly newsletter for a healthy recipe of the week (and nutrition articles and videos with a balanced living philosophy to help encourage healthy habits but still save room for your favorites). Our nutrition newsletter is written by the Online / Calgary Nutritionists on our team who each hold a professional Registered Dietitian license to ensure you are getting credible advice.
About Andrea Holwegner
CEO, Registered Dietitian, Counseling Practice Director & Professional Speaker
Andrea the «Chocoholic Nutritionist» is founder and CEO of Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. since 2000. She is an online nutrition course creator, professional speaker and regular guest in the media. Andrea is the recipient of an award by the Dietitians of Canada: The Speaking of Food & Healthy Living Award for Excellence in Consumer Education....Read more