Italian Sausage, Spinach & Pepper Involtini
A tasty, easy and quick 30 minute dinner recipe
Looking for a quick and easy 30 minute meal idea? Look no further, this Italian Sausage, Spinach and Pepper Involtini is the perfect option for a simple meal that can be adapted to your taste.
Makes 8 servings
What You Need
- 500g pork sausage
- 1 small onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 350 mL tomato passata/ tomato sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 8 whole grain 6” tortillas
- 1 bunch or bag baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- salt and pepper
How to Make the Italian Sausage, Spinach and Pepper Involtini
- After washing and drying the produce, mince garlic, slice red bell pepper into thin strips, and chop small onion.
- On medium heat in a medium sized pot add in the chopped onion, peppers, and garlic with a drizzle of oil. Stir occasionally for 4-5 minutes or until peppers soften.
- Next, add in the uncased sausage, oregano and chili flakes. Break the sausage with a spoon and allow to fully cook, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the passata/ tomato sauce and reduce the heat. Allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- When the sauce is slightly reduces, add half of the spinach and stir for 1-2 minutes until the spinach wilts. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve about 1 cup of the sausage mixture for a later step.
- Prepare the involtini by placing the sausage mixture on the tortillas, rolling them and placing on a 8×8 baking dish sprayed with oil. Drizzle reserved sausage mixture and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Place baking dish in a preheated oven and broil for 3-4 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve with the remaining spinach and enjoy!
The great thing about this recipe is that it is so versatile, you can adapt it to your taste and change up the fillings to whatever you enjoy the most!
Make sure to post a photo of your Italian sausage, spinach and pepper involtini and tag us on our socials on Facebook and Instagram @healthstandnutrition!
Don’t miss out on healthy new recipes or nutrition article and sign up for our newsletter, today!
Sound Bites is a weekly nutrition newsletter that goes out to thousands of subscribers. Written by our team of registered dietitians and nutrition experts, it includes articles, videos, tips and recipes.
As a special BONUS, we’ll email you our popular ’51 Healthy Snack Attacks’ PDF.
Looking for more yummy and nutritious recipes? We got them here!
Brought to you by our friendly Registered Dietitian team at Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. For more balanced living advice check out our RESOURCE MEGA BANK of nutrition articles, videos, healthy recipes, newsletters and meal planning kits here: www.healthstandnutrition.com/personal-nutrition/resource-mega-bank/