Pineapple Upside-down French Toast
This is a great make-ahead breakfast, brunch item, or alternative weekday supper meal the whole family will like.
Makes 8 servings
What you need
8 thick slices of whole wheat bread
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp. soft tub non-hydrogenated margarine or butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
8 round slices canned unsweetened pineapple (14 oz/398 ml can)
How you prepare
- Place slices of bread in a large shallow pan.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon. Pour mixture over the bread. Turn bread over and allow to soak for at least 10 minutes (up to overnight in refrigerator)
- Brush margarine over the bottom of a 13 X 9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle bottom evenly with brown sugar, pressing sugar into bottom of pan. Arrange slices of pineapple on sugar in a single layer. Place a piece of soaked bread over each.
- Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes or until bread is puffed and browned. Remove and cool 5 minutes.
- Cut around each slice of bread and serve each piece upside down with a slice of pineapple or other fruit such as fresh berries or sliced banana.
Carbohydrates: 63.8 g
Protein: 9.6 g
Fat: 8.3 g
Fibre: 3.9 g