Pineapple Upside-down French Toast
This is a great make-ahead breakfast, brunch item, or alternative weekday supper meal the whole family will like.
Makes 8 servings
What you need
8 thick slices of whole wheat bread
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp. soft tub non-hydrogenated margarine or butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
8 round slices canned unsweetened pineapple (14 oz/398 ml can)
How you prepare
- Place slices of bread in a large shallow pan.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon. Pour mixture over the bread. Turn bread over and allow to soak for at least 10 minutes (up to overnight in refrigerator)
- Brush margarine over the bottom of a 13 X 9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle bottom evenly with brown sugar, pressing sugar into bottom of pan. Arrange slices of pineapple on sugar in a single layer. Place a piece of soaked bread over each.
- Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes or until bread is puffed and browned. Remove and cool 5 minutes.
- Cut around each slice of bread and serve each piece upside down with a slice of pineapple or other fruit such as fresh berries or sliced banana.
Carbohydrates: 63.8 g
Protein: 9.6 g
Fat: 8.3 g
Fibre: 3.9 g
About Andrea Holwegner
CEO, Registered Dietitian, Counseling Practice Director & Professional Speaker
Andrea the «Chocoholic Nutritionist» is founder and CEO of Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. since 2000. She is an online nutrition course creator, professional speaker and regular guest in the media. Andrea is the recipient of an award by the Dietitians of Canada: The Speaking of Food & Healthy Living Award for Excellence in Consumer Education....Read more