Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Burrito Recipe Print
Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Burrito Recipe
Recipe shared from Kristen Sunstrum, Dietetics Student
Did you know you can replace the taste and texture of eggs with tofu? With a bit of spice, and colorful veggies, this tofu-based dish can turn into a healthy & delicious breakfast burrito!
Tip: Make sure you use firm or extra firm tofu for the best results.
Fun Facts: Tofu is derived from soybeans through a process where the soybeans are pressed, and the liquid is drained, leaving the tofu “curd” that is a versatile, tasty and complete plant-based protein. A complete protein means it contains all 9 essential amino acids necessary for our body’s needs.
The nutritional yeast used in this recipe is a deactivated yeast that is known for its cheesy, nutty taste. When fortified it is an excellent source of vitamin B12 which is often a limiting nutrient in vegan foods.
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 10 mins
- Makes 2-3 servings
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 350 g block extra-firm tofu
- ½ medium red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup white mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup hummus or tahini
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Lime juice, to taste
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2-3 flour tortillas (depending on portion size)
- Salsa and cilantro to serve (optional)
- To make the tofu scramble, start by sautéing the onion and garlic in a medium frying pan over medium heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and pepper, let cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Crumble tofu into small-medium chunks with hands into the pan, mix with veggies and cook on low for 5-6 minutes.
- While tofu and vegetables are cooking, mix hummus (or tahini), spices, nutritional yeast and lime juice into a small bowl. Add water 1 TBSP at a time until the mixture reaches a thick but pourable consistency. (You may need more or less water depending on how thick your hummus or tahini is).
- Pour the hummus mixture into the pan with the tofu and vegetables. Cook on low heat and mix until all veggies and tofu are coated with the mixture, about 2-3 minutes. In the last minute of cooking, add spinach and cover until wilted.
- Warm a flour tortilla by microwaving for 10-15 seconds, or until it is warm and pliable. Scoop about ½ cup of the tofu scramble onto the tortilla. Add avocado and salsa then fold in both ends of tortilla to roll into a breakfast burrito.
Enjoy immediately with extra salsa on the side!
Per serving: 1/3 of recipe
- 480 Calories
- 46 g Carbohydrates
- 24 g Fat
- 26 g Protein
44% Daily Value of Vitamin B12
56 % Daily Value of Calcium
34.3 % Daily Value of Iron