Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Burrito Recipe
Recipe shared from Kristen Sunstrum, Dietetics Student
Did you know you can replace the taste and texture of eggs with tofu? With a bit of spice, and colorful veggies, this tofu-based dish can turn into a healthy & delicious breakfast burrito!
Tip: Make sure you use firm or extra firm tofu for the best results.
Fun Facts: Tofu is derived from soybeans through a process where the soybeans are pressed, and the liquid is drained, leaving the tofu “curd” that is a versatile, tasty and complete plant-based protein. A complete protein means it contains all 9 essential amino acids necessary for our body’s needs.
The nutritional yeast used in this recipe is a deactivated yeast that is known for its cheesy, nutty taste. When fortified it is an excellent source of vitamin B12 which is often a limiting nutrient in vegan foods.
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 10 mins
- Makes 2-3 servings
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 350 g block extra-firm tofu
- ½ medium red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup white mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup hummus or tahini
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Lime juice, to taste
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2-3 flour tortillas (depending on portion size)
- Salsa and cilantro to serve (optional)
- To make the tofu scramble, start by sautéing the onion and garlic in a medium frying pan over medium heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and pepper, let cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Crumble tofu into small-medium chunks with hands into the pan, mix with veggies and cook on low for 5-6 minutes.
- While tofu and vegetables are cooking, mix hummus (or tahini), spices, nutritional yeast and lime juice into a small bowl. Add water 1 TBSP at a time until the mixture reaches a thick but pourable consistency. (You may need more or less water depending on how thick your hummus or tahini is).
- Pour the hummus mixture into the pan with the tofu and vegetables. Cook on low heat and mix until all veggies and tofu are coated with the mixture, about 2-3 minutes. In the last minute of cooking, add spinach and cover until wilted.
- Warm a flour tortilla by microwaving for 10-15 seconds, or until it is warm and pliable. Scoop about ½ cup of the tofu scramble onto the tortilla. Add avocado and salsa then fold in both ends of tortilla to roll into a breakfast burrito.
Enjoy immediately with extra salsa on the side!
Per serving: 1/3 of recipe
- 480 Calories
- 46 g Carbohydrates
- 24 g Fat
- 26 g Protein
44% Daily Value of Vitamin B12
56 % Daily Value of Calcium
34.3 % Daily Value of Iron