Kale Salad with Garlic Tahini Dressing
Say NO to sad desk salads and make work lunches extra delicious with this easy kale salad!
When it comes to packing lunches for work, I’m a big fan of keeping it simple but tasty. I find that for myself I don’t need a ton of variety in the week, so I’ll often plan to bring this 2-3 times throughout my work week. I often set aside some time for lunch prep on the weekend so that I have more space and time within my week for fun activities or just relaxing.
That’s part of why I love this salad so much – the dressing can be made ahead and kept in a jar in the fridge, or if it’s a really full week, you can substitute with your favorite store-bought dressing. Plus, kale is such a hearty green that you can wash, chop, and store it in the fridge in an airtight container or plastic bag (add a paper towel to absorb extra moisture!) and grab as needed.
2-3 meal sized servings or 4-5 side salad servings.
Making it a Meal:
Keep in mind the balanced meal method:
Add a protein: keep this meal feeling fresh throughout the week by alternating proteins – ideas include:
- Leftover proteins from dinner: think shredded chicken, leftover salmon, or baked tofu!
- Crispy roasted chickpeas: make your own or try our favorite store-bought version in a pinch!
Add a grain or starch: this salad tastes GREAT with the chewy texture of farro, one of my favorite grains! Learn more about how to cook it here.
What You Need
**Recipe adapted from Cookie & Kate**
For the kale salad:
- 1 bunch of curly green kale, washed and chopped
- Fine sea salt
- ¾ cup Kalamata olives (slice if desired)
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sundried tomatoes (rinse, drain, and chop roughly)
- 1/3 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp extra virgin olive oil
For the garlic tahini dressing:
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 medium garlic cloves, minced (depending on how garlic-y you like it!)
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1-2 TBSP water
How to Make the Recipe
- Place the chopped kale in a large serving bowl. Sprinkle lightly with a pinch of sea salt and ¼ tsp of olive oil and massage it with your hands by scrunching up large handfuls at a time until it becomes darker and more fragrant (this makes the kale extra tasty and easier on digestion).
- Add the olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and Parmesan to the bowl. Set aside.
- To make the garlic tahini dressing, combine the tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk until blended (or use a small blender if desired). Add the water until desired consistency is achieved.
- Pour the dressing into the salad and toss until the salad is evenly coated with dressing.
- Serve with your protein and grain of choice and enjoy! Once the garlic tahini dressing is added, this salad keeps well for 2-3 days in the refrigerator (keep covered).
So there you have it! A simple salad with bold Mediterranean flavors that will get you looking forward to your lunch break. If you make this for lunch, share a picture on social media and be sure to tag me @britneylentz.rd – I’d love to see it!
Nutrients per meal serving
Nutrition analysis done with black olives, 1 garlic clove, and brown mustard.
27 g Carbohydrate
42.9 g Protein
45.2 g Fat
7.3 g Fiber
Don’t miss a healthy recipe or nutrition article and sign up for our newsletter, today!
Sound Bites is a weekly nutrition newsletter that goes out to thousands of subscribers. Written by our team of registered dietitians, it includes articles, videos, tips and recipes.
As a special BONUS, we’ll email you our popular ’51 Healthy Snack Attacks’ PDF.
Still need some inspiration for work lunches? Check out these great articles from the Health Stand team: