Top off your burger in a fresh way Print
Tasty and fresh burger topping ideas
Regardless of the type of burger you choose (beef, bison, pork, veggie, turkey or chicken) here are some fun flavorful ingredients to add to your burger and bun:
- Philly Style: Sautéed mushrooms, onions and red peppers with provolone cheese.
- Tropical: Sliced avocado, grated carrots, cilantro and mango salsa
- Kicker: Lettuce, tomato, onions and jalapeño pepper jelly.
- Canada Colored: Roasted red peppers (or sundried tomatoes packed in oil), sweet white onions and goat cheese (or feta cheese).
- Italian Caprese: Sliced local tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, fresh bocconcini mozzarella cheese and a drizzle of balsamic reduction.
- Fancy: Sauteed mushrooms with goat cheese and fresh herbs.
- Greek salad: sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and black olives, with feta cheese.
- Pesto: Pesto with sundried tomatoes – either mixed into the pesto, or as a separate topping.
It’s really easy to think outside the box (or bun) for some fresh and tasty burger toppings. Try arugula instead of lettuce for a peppery twist on greens. Switch out mayo for a garlic aioli, or try a dijon mustard instead of yellow. Mix fresh herbs into your burgers, or grill a portebello mushroom instead of meat. Or switch up your bun for a tortilla wrap, or a multigrain option.
Here are some of our favourite burger recipes:
- Veggie Lentil Burger
- Juicy Burgers for the grill
- Asian Beef Burgers
- Easy Chickpea Burgers
- Jerk Pork Burgers